People in News
- Today (27th September) is World Tourism Day.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
- The World Tourism Day celebration was started by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) in the year 1980.
- This date was chosen as on that day in 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted. The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism.
- Themes of World Tourism Days :
- The theme of 2010 - “Tourism & Biodiversity”.
- The theme of 2011 - “Tourism Linking Cultures”.
- The theme of 2012 - “Tourism and Energetic Sustainability”.
- The theme of 2013 - “Tourism and Water: Protecting our Common Future”.
- The theme of 2014 - “Tourism and Community Development”.
- The theme of 2015 - “Millions of tourists, millions of opportunities”.
- Today (last Sunday in the month of September) is World Deaf Day.
- World Deaf Day is celebrated every year in last week (last Sunday of the month of September) of the September to draw the attention of general public, politician and development authorities towards the achievements of the deaf people as well as deaf people community.
- International Week of the Deaf 2015
- This year, the International Week of the Deaf 2015 took place from 21st to 27th September 2015.
- Theme of International Week of the Deaf 2015 : With Sign Language Rights, Our Children Can!
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with the top CEOs and business leaders of Silicon Valley.
- PM Modi has met,
- Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella,
- Google’s CEO Sundar Pichai
- Alphabet’s CEO and Google co-founder Larry Page (the holding company of Google),
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg,
- Apple CEO Tim Cook,
- Qualcomm’s Executive Chairman Paul E. Jacobs,
- CISCO CEO John Chambers
- Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk
- Highlights :
- Qualcomm has announced 150 million US dollar for innovation in Indian startups.
- Google has announced that it will help India set up base for free Wi-Fi at 500 railway stations.
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg changed his Facebook profile photo sports Indian Tricolour in support of Digital India.
- Social Reformer Raja Ram Mohan Roy's (22 May 1772 – 27 September 1833) Death anniversary today.
- He was the founder of Brahmo Samaj.
- He is best known for his efforts to establish the abolishment of Hindu funeral practice of sati.
- Govt makes free entry to 116 national monuments like Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Qutub Minar on World Tourism Day.
- Union Minister of Tourism : Mahesh Sharma
- Centre launches Medical Tourism and Wellness Board on the occasion of World Tourism Day.
- The Board has been formed to tap the potential and advantages that India has in the field of medical and wellness tourism.
- On World Tourism Day, Gujarat government announces new tourism policy for the year 2015-2020.
- The government for the first time decided to give industrial status to tourism sector which would help this sector receive more benefits and funds from the government.
- The policy also aims to give employment to 20 lakh people in this sector till the year 2025.
- Haryana government decides to increase the quota of economically weaker students from 10% to 25%.
- To counter criticism over Members of Parliament deciding their own salaries, the government has proposed to set up an Independent three-member emoluments commission, which would recommend salaries and other allowances for the lawmakers.
People in News
- Former Nepal prime minister and top Maoist leader Baburam Bhattarai resigned as lawmaker amid differences with the major Nepalese political parties over the promulgation of new Constitution.
- Bhattarai also resigned from Unified CPN-Maoist party, to form his own political outfit.
- India's most successful cueist Pankaj Advani added another feather to his cap by winning the IBSF World Billiards Championship 2015 by outplaying Singapore's Peter Gilchrist.
- Asian Air Gun Championship 2015 begins in New Delhi.
- Beijing Olympics champion Abhinav Bindra wins Gold medal.
Note : Current Affairs of 28th September 2015 will be available soon
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here