- The government today announced a Special assistance of Rs 1,000 crore during the current financial year for development of Andhra Pradesh.
- The funds will be utilised for the development of backward districts of Andhra Pradesh and creation of its new capital, including the Raj Bhawan, the High Court, the Secretariat, the Legislative Assembly, the Legislative Council, and other essential infrastructure.
- This will include Rs 350 crore for development of seven backward districts covering Rayalaseema and North Coastal region, Rs 350 crore for the new capital and Rs 300 crore for Polavaram irrigation project.
- The government had in Budget 2015-16 provided tax incentives to the state.
- The Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014, bifurcated the state, with the creation of Telangana taking effect from June 2, 2014.
- Important Points to Note :
- Capital : Amaravathi (as of now Hyderabad)
- Local Language : Telugu
- Governor : E. S. L. Narasimhan
- Chief Minister Nara Chandrababu Naidu (TDP)
- Nickname (s) : Rice Bowl of India, Egg bowl of Asia
- Nation pays homage to Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya on his birth anniversary today.
- Eid Ul Zuha is being celebrated with traditional enthusiasm and devotion today.
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launches a week long credit campaign under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) to provide credit to small scale entrepreneurs.
- Note : Mega credit campaigns are being conducted all over the country by banks from September 25 to October 2 to fund such enterprises and create a sound economic system subsequently by providing bank credit to aspiring entrepreneurs, especially small and micro entrepreneurs, an official statement said.
- The European Union has imposed a provisional anti-dumping duty of up to 31.2 per cent on imports of water and sewage pipes from India for six months to protect its industry.
Awards & Honors
- The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has received the SKOCH Award for smart governance for its initiatives on UAN programme and transformation of social security agenda in India.
- Important Note : The EPFO was also awarded two SKOCH Order-of-Merit, one for launching the UAN for EPFO members and another for transformation of Social Security Agenda in India.
- China has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the World Anti-Doping Agency in tackling illegal import and export of raw materials for performance enhancing drugs.
- Liu Peng, head of the State General Administration of Sports of China, inked this MOU after a meeting with WADA director general David Howman.
- According to the MOU, 10 government departments related to sports, the custom, food and drugs control and public security are expected to join force in cracking down on illegal the manufacturing, distribution, import and export of raw materials which may be used to produce performance enhancing drugs.
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis storm into the Women's Doubles final of Guangzhou Open tennis tournament.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here