- Today (24th September) is World Maritime Day.
- 2015 World Maritime Day theme : Maritime education and training
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaches New York on a 5-day visit to the US
- He kicked off his engagements in New York with a financial sector roundtable with leading CEOs, including JP Morgan's Jamie Dimon and Peter Hancock of AIG Insurance.
- The others in the roundtable include Steve Schwarzman, CEO Blackstone, Charles Kaye of Warburg Pincus, Henry Kravis of KKR, Bill Ford of General Atlantic, Chase Coleman of Tiger Global and Vicki Fuller of NY State Common Retirement Fund.
- At least 717 people have been crushed to death in a stampede outside Mecca and more than 850 injured in the deadliest disaster on the annual Hajj pilgrimage in a quarter of a century.
- Union Health Min J.P. Nadda today inaugurated 60th Institute Day Celebrations of All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi
Business & Economy
- As per Forbes magazine's latest India rich list released tonight, Industrialist Mukesh Ambani was named India's Richest Man for ninth consecutive year with a net worth of USD 18.9 billion.
- Ambani was followed by Sun Pharma's Dilip Shanghvi as second richest with a net worth of USD 18 billion, while Wipro's Azim Premji retained his third place with USD 15.9 billion.
- e-commerce giant Flipkart's co-founders Sachin and Binni Bansal made their debut at 86th position with a net worth of USD 1.3 billion each.
- Top 10 in the List
- Mukesh Ambani (18.9 billion dollars)
- Dilip Shanghvi (18 billion)
- Azim Premji (15.9 billion)
- Hinduja brothers (15.9 billion)
- Pallonji Mistry (14.7 billion)
- Shiv Nadar (12.9 billion)
- Godrej family (11.4 billion)
- Lakshmi Mittal (11.2 billion)
- Cyrus Poonawala (7.9 billion)
- Kumar Mangalam Birla (7.8 billion)
- US Baseball player Yogi Berra, one of baseball’s greatest catchers Passed away.
Awards & Honors
- Eminent Hindi writer Dr Kamal Kishore Goenka was conferred with 24th Vyaas Samman for the year 2014.
- He was honored for his work 'Premchand ki Kahaniyon ka Kaal Kramanusaar Adhyayan'.
- National Cadet Corps (NCC) enters Limca Book of Records for the Largest Yoga performance simultaneously by a single uniformed youth organisation (NCC) at multiple venues on International Day of Yoga on 21 Jun 2015.
- Director General of NCC : Lt Gen A Chakravarty
- Left-wing leader Alexis Tsipras has been sworn in as Prime Minister of Greece after his Syriza party beat its conservative rivals in Sunday’s parliamentary elections.
- Former India Captain Sourav Ganguly has been elected as the new President of the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) following the demise of veteran administrator Jagmohan Dalmiya.
Science & Technology
- This day (24th September) celebrates Mangalyaan's successful entrance in the Mars orbit.
- On this day in the year 2014, India has successfully placed it's low cost Mangalyan spacecraft in orbit around Mars.
- India is the first nation in the world to reach Mars Orbit in first attempt.
- Check Important Details about Mangalyaan from here
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here