- Prime Minister Narendra Modi leaves for a week long visit to Ireland and the United States.
- This is the first Prime Ministerial visit to Ireland in 60 years [Jawaharlal Nehru visited Dublin in 1956].
- On his First leg of this visit, Modi reached Ireland and had a delegation level talks with his Irish counterpart Enda Kenny on a wide range of bilateral and multilateral issues including information technology, pharmaceuticals and clean energy.
- Both countries agree for direct air services to boost tourism.
- The focus of the PM's Ireland visit is strengthening economic ties and people to people contacts.
- In the United States, Mr Modi will address United Nations Summit for the adoption of post 2015 Development Agenda, Leaders’ summit on peace-keeping and G4 summit.
- India, Japan and US have decided to hold first trilateral ministerial meeting on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York next week.
- The Union Cabinet today approved an agreement signed between India and Cambodia for bilateral cooperation in the tourism sector that aims at enhancing investment and promoting exchange of experience in marketing, destination development and management in this field.
- The Rajasthan Assembly has passed Two Separate bills. They are,
- Rajasthan Special Backward Classes Reservation Bill, 2015 : This bill provides 5 % reservation to Gujjars and other communities under Special Backward Classes (SBC)
- Note : Five communities namely Banjara/Baldiya/Labana, Gadiya Lohar/Gadoliya, Gujar/Gurjar, Raika/Rebari/Debasi and Gadariya/Gadri/Gayari have been included in this bill.
- Rajasthan Economically Backward Classes Reservation Bill, 2015 : This bill provides 14 % quota to Economically Backward Classes (EBC) of unreserved categories.
- Note : Both the bills will exceed the permissible legal limit of reservation in the state as the reservation under SC, ST and OBC categories will remain unchanged.
- Rajasthan Assembly has also passed the Rajasthan Vexation Litigation Prevention Bill, 2015 by voice vote.
- The objective of the bill is to prevent filing of baseless cases and to check the misuse of law for personal benefits.
- With this Rajasthan became the fifth state in India after Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa and Madhya Pradesh to pass such legislation.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the setting up of Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- The ISLRTC will be under the protection of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- It shall be located initially at the Institute for Physically Handicapped, New Delhi.
- Bombay High Court restrains Maharashtra government from releasing water from Gangapur dam for 'Shahi Snaan' (holy dip) of the Kumbh Mela as many parts of state are facing drought.
- Two Indian Coast Guard Ships Apoorva and C-421 are commissioned at Naval Dock.
- ICGS Apoorva, 14th in the series of 20, is a 50 meter long Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) that displaces 317 Tonnes and can achieve a maximum speed of 33 knots.
- C-421 is a water jet propelled vessel, 27th in the series of IBs constructed by L & T Limited and can achieve a maximum speed of 45 Knots.
- Union Health Ministry today released the National Health Profile 2015, which provides comprehensive information related to health sector.
- The NHP focuses on key information regarding the nation's overall health status, financing, infrastructure and human resources in health.
- Note : For first time this document was released in e-book (digital) version in lines with Digital India initiative.
- Health Minister : J P Nadda
Awards & Honors
- Marathi film "Court" selected as India's official entry to the Oscars next year.
- This film will compete in the Best Foreign Film category at the Academy awards (OSCARs) to be held next year.
- Directed by : Chaitanya Tamhane
- Note : The film was declared the winner of the National Award for Best Feature Film in March this year.
- Lalita Prasida Sripada Srisai, a class IX student from Odisha has won the ‘Community Impact Award’ at the prestigious Google Science Fair in California today.
- PepsiCo Chairman Indra Nooyi and Hindustan Times Group chairperson Shobhana Bharatia have been presented with the 2015 Global Leadership Award of the US India Business Council, for their commitment to driving a more inclusive global economy and their roles as women leaders.
- Telecom service provider Uninor today announced it has rebranded itself as Telenor in India.
- Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn resigned today taking responsibility for the German carmaker's rigging of U.S. emissions tests in the biggest scandal in its 78-year history.