- Today (21st September) is International Day of Peace / World Peace Day.
- This day was first celebrated in 1982, and is kept by many nations, political groups, military groups, and peoples.
- In 2013, for the first time, the Day was dedicated by the Secretary-General of the United Nations to peace education, the key preventive means to reduce war sustainably.
- Note : To inaugurate the day, the United Nations Peace Bell is rung at UN Headquarters (in New York City). This bell is cast from coins donated by children from all continents except Africa, and was a gift from the United Nations Association of Japan, as "a reminder of the human cost of war"; the inscription on its side reads, "Long live absolute world peace".
- Themes of International Day of Peace
- 2011 – Peace and Democracy: Make Your Voice Heard
- 2012 – Sustainable Peace for a Sustainable Future
- 2013 – Focus on Peace education
- 2014 – Right to Peace
- 2015 – Partnerships for Peace - Dignity for All
- Today is World Alzheimer's Day.
- This is a day on which Alzheimer’s organizations around the world concentrate their efforts on raising awareness about Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia, a group of disorders that impairs mental functioning.
- Note : September 2015 will mark the fourth global World Alzheimer’s Month, an international campaign to raise awareness and challenge stigma.
- Theme for World Alzheimer's Month 2015 : Remember Me
- Brigade Commander level flag meeting between India and Pakistan held today in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Both countries agreed to exercise restraint and work for defusing the situation on Line of Control (LoC) which has been witnessing repeated ceasefire violations.
- Best selling novelist Jackie Collins (77) passed away .
- "The World Is Full of Married Men" was her debut novel, which was published in the year 1968.
- She had written more than 32 novels in her four decades of writing career, almost all of them had appeared on The New York Times bestsellers list.
- She was honoured with Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the year 2013.
Awards & Honors
- The 67th annual Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony was held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles today.
- Game of Thrones picked up a record-breaking 12 awards, including best drama series.
- Viola Davis became the first black woman to win the award for leading actress.
- Check Complete List of Emmy Awardees 2015 from here
- Eminent Urdu litterateur Shamim Hanfi was conferred the Jnangarima Manad Alankaran by Bharatiya Jnanpith.
- Founded earlier this year, the Jnangarima Manad Alankaran award recognises the contribution of writers in Indian languages.
- The Urdu scholar is best known for his books on criticism like "Jadidiyat ki Falsafiyani Asas," "Ghazal Ka Naya Manzarnama" and "Infiradi Shaoor aur Ijtemai Zindagi."
- Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel claimed victory at the Formula One Singapore Grand Prix for the fourth time.
- This is his third victory of the season 2015 (He already won Malaysian Grand Prix and Hungarian Grand Prix).
- Current Rankings
- Sebastian Vettel (Germany) of Ferrari
- Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) of Red Bull
- Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) of Ferrari
- Nico Rosberg (Germany) of Mercedes
- Valtteri Bottas (Finland) of Williams
- Indian Badminton player Ajay Jayaram has won silver medal in Korea Open Badminton tournament 2015 in the Men’s singles category.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here