- Nepal has adopted its First democratic Constitution, nearly a decade after the country ended a long-running civil war.
- Nepal’s 239-year old monarchy was abolished in 2008, seven years after an unhinged crown prince killed the king and eight members of his family at the height of a Maoist uprising.
- In 2008, the Maoists won elections to a constituent assembly. But amid squabbling, the assembly failed to draw up a new constitution.
- Important Points to Note :
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley is on a 4-day visit to Singapore and Hong Kong.
- During this visit, he met his Singapore counterpart Tharman Shanmugaratnam and other leaders.
- He addressed investor meets and participated in the Singapore Summit.
- He discussed matters relating to taxation for foreign investment and steps being taken by India to attract investments
- The Odisha Government has decided to increase the work days from 150 to 200 in drought-affected areas under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
- The state government will bear all costs for the additional 50 days work.
- The government has already spent Rs. 802 crores under the scheme, while it has a target to spend more than Rs.2000 crores by the end of this year.
- Note : The Centre had earlier this week approved an extra 50 days of work for farmers and workers under MGNREGA in drought-hit areas across the country.
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Jagmohan Dalmiya passed away.
- Dalmiya took over the reins of the BCCI for a second time in March, after a gap of 10 years, when he got a walkover in the elections. But he has been ailing since then, and his health had deteriorated further over the last few weeks.
- BCCI announced squads for three T-20 International matches and the first three ODIs for the upcoming home series against South Africa.
- MS Dhoni will lead India in the three T20s and first three ODIs against South Africa.
- T20Is : MS Dhoni, Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ajinkya Rahane, Ambati Rayudu, Stuart Binny, R Ashwin, Axar Patel, Harbhajan Singh, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohit Sharma, Amit Mishra, S Aravind.
- First three ODIs : MS Dhoni, Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Ambati Rayudu, Suresh Raina, Ajinkya Rahane, Stuart Binny, R Ashwin, Axar Patel, Gurkeerat Singh Mann, Amit Mishra, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohit Sharma, Umesh Yadav.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here