- Today (2nd Saturday of September) is World First Aid Day.
- This is an annual campaign to promote the importance of first aid training in preventing injuries and saving lives.
- The IFRC (International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies) introduced World First Aid Day in 2000.
- Each year, more than 100 Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies around the world organize events and ceremonies to raise public awareness of how first aid can save lives in everyday and crisis situations.
- Today (12th September) is United Nations Day for South-South Cooperation.
- India and Pakistan today agreed to jointly resolve sensitive issues like ceasefire violations and cross-border infiltration through timely exchange of information, including via email and over the telephone.
- At the conclusion of bilateral DG-level border talks in New Delhi, the two sides also inked some new CBMs (Confidence and security-building measures) and signed a joint record of discussions which emphasised the need to ensure security and well-being of their border populations.
- Singapore's governing People's Action Party (PAP) has won a decisive victory in the general election.
Awards & Honors
- The Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), London has conferred G Satheesh Reddy, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, with the Society's 2015 Silver Medal for work contributing to major advances or contributions in aerospace.
- He is one of the renowned experts in Navigation and Avionics technologies.
- Note : Mr Reddy is the first Defence scientist working in India to be honoured with the prestigious "Silver Medal" of the Society.
- The Royal Aeronautical Society, established in 1866, has been honouring outstanding achievers in the global aerospace industry since 1909, when Wilbur and Orville Wright came to London to receive the Society’s first Gold Medal. Honouring world aerospace achievers has become a permanent tradition of the Society.
- US Open 2015
- Veteran Indian tennis star Leander Paes and his Swiss partner Martina Hingis lifts Mixed Double's trophy.
- Note : Paes has now won Nine Grand Slam mixed doubles titles, surpassing compatriot and former partner Mahesh Bhupathi’s record of eight titles.
- Google and Indian Railways have partnered to offer free high speed WiFi across 400 railway stations in the country through Google Fiber, as per a latest report from TelecomTalk.
Awards & Honors
- PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi is the sole Indian-origin executive in Fortune's list of 50 most powerful women in business, which has been topped by General Motors CEO Mary Barra.
- India-born Nooyi is ranked 2nd on the list, moving up a notch from her third position last year.
- Top 10 people in the list
- 1st - Mary Barra, CEO of General Motors
- 2nd - Indra Nooyi, CEO of PEPSI
- 3rd - Ginni Rometty, CEO of IBM
- 4th - Marillyn Hewson, CEO of Lockheed Martin
- 5th - Ellen Kullman, CEO of DuPont
- 6th - Abigail Johnson, CEO of Fidelity Investments
- 7th - Meg Whitman, CEO of Hewlett-Packard (HP)
- 8th - Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook
- 9th - Irene Rosenfeld, CEO of Mondelez International
- 10th - Phebe Novakovic, CEO of General Dynamics
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here