Business & Economy
Awards & Honors
- India and Pakistan today began a three-day DG-level border dialogue.
- A 16-member Pakistani delegation reached the BSF headquarters for the talks that are being held between after a gap of over one-and-a-half years.
- In an effort to take their strained relationship forward, both countries today agreed to maintain peace along the border.
- Both the sides have agreed to open more channels of communication and no new defence related construction along Indo-Pak border.
- India and Indonesia have signed a pact for repatriation of each other's wanted prisoners and cooperate in all criminal matters, including gathering evidence.
- The Rajasthan High Court has ordered the Centre to ensure that larger pictorial warnings are carried on all tobacco products.
- The Centre has time till October 29th to implement the order.
- Note : The pictorial warnings must now cover 85% of the space.
- The Haryana Assembly has passed a Bill, fixing the minimum educational qualification for elections to the Panchayati Raj institutions besides laying down other conditions including making it mandatory for the candidates to have functional toilets.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 10th World Hindi Conference in Bhopal today.
- More than 2,000 scholars from over 40 countries participating in the event.
- Madhya Pradesh government is a local partner.
- The theme of the conference : Hindi Jagat - Vistaar aur Sambhavnaye.
- Important Points to Note :
- The First World Hindi Conference was held from 10th to 12th January 1975 in Nagpur.
- Inaugurated by then Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi.
- Union HRD Minister Smt Smriti Irani today launched National Web Portal to provide information related to Ministry's National Apprenticeship Training scheme.
- The scheme, which provides opportunities for practical training, is for graduates, diploma holders and 10+2 pass vocational certificate holders.
- The Union Minister also released a Logo and a Slogan “Sashakt Yuva, Samarth Bharat” for the National Web Portal.
Business & Economy
- Tamil Nadu's first Global Investors Meet (TNGIM 2015) was officially inaugurated by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today.
- Industrialists Reliance Group chief Anil Ambani, Mahindra & Mahindra Chairman Anand Mahindra, ITC Chairman Y C Deveshwar, HCL founder Shiv Nadar, JSW Steel chief Sajjan Jindal, Adani Group chief Gautam Adani and Indian Oil Chairman B Ashok, Yes Bank Chairman Rana Kapoor, among others, attended the event.
- Note : During this Meet, the Tamil Nadu government attracts over 2,40,000 Crore rupees worth investments, which is more than double the target.
- The State will organise a Global Investors Meet every two years, the next Meet will be held in 2017.
- India and Belarus have set a trade target of $1 billion to achieved by 2018.
- This target was decided at the Seventh Session of the India-Belarus Inter-Governmental Commission that was held in Belarus capital Minsk.
Awards & Honors
- Queen Elizabeth II reached a major milestone by becoming the longest-reigning monarch in Britain's history by passing Queen Victoria, who served for 63 years and seven months.
- Elizabeth became queen upon the death of her father George VI, Britain's king during World War II (his stammer inspired the Oscar-winning film "The King's Speech").
- The calculation of her time on the throne is based on when George VI passed away, which is estimated at around 1:00 am on February 6, 1952.
- US Open Tennis 2015
- Sania Mirza and Leander Paes with their partners enter into the final of the Women's doubles and mixed doubles.
- Ace golfer Anirban Lahiri added another feather to his cap by becoming the first Indian to qualify for the prestigious President’s Cup.
- 5th Commonwealth Youth Games :
- India bag seven medals including two gold today.
- Archer Prachi Singh
- Tennis mixed doubles team of Sasikumar Mukund and Dhruthi Tatachar Venugopal
- Boxer Gourav Solanki (52kg),
- Archer Nishant Kumawat (boys recurve individual)
- Squash mixed team of Velavan Senthil Kumar and Harshit Jawanda
- Pugilists Leichombam Bhimchand Singh (49kg) and Prayag Chauhan (64kg)
- Note : With just a day left in the Games, India occupy sixth spot in the medal tally with a total haul of 17 medals (7 gold, 4 silver and 6 bronze) behind Australia, England, South Africa, Malaysia and New Zealand.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here