Business & Economy
Science & Technology
- Today (8th August) is International Cat Day.
- Singapore set to celebrate it's 50th anniversary tomorrow.
- Note : Singapore’s birth as a nation state came on Aug 9, 1965, when it was ejected from the Malaysian federation following a stormy two-year union.
- India has decided to boycott the 61st Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference which is slated to be held in Islamabad, Pakistan from 30 September to 8 October 2015.
- The government has decided to extended e-tourist visa facility to 36 more countries from August 15th, taking the total number of countries under the scheme up to 113.
- The countries including Bolivia, Colombia, Cuba, United Kingdom, Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Belgium, East Timor, Guatemala, Hungary, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, Malaysia, Mongolia, Monaco, Mozambique, Netherlands, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Surinam, Sweden, Taiwan, Tanzania, Turks and Caicos Island, Uruguay and Venezuela.
- The Centre and the Delhi Government today agreed to setup a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) to clean and rejuvenate river Yamuna for which a blueprint would be prepared in 45 days.
- Union Water Resources Minister : Uma Bharti
- Delhi Chief Minister : Arvind Kejriwal
- Union Government has today launched ambitious scheme 'Nai Manzil' for minorities.
- The idea behind this new scheme is to help the minority students assimilate with their mainstream counterparts.
- The aim of the scheme 'Nai Manzil' would be employment generation of the youths and also extending loans for opening enterprises.
- Union Minority Affairs Minister : Dr. Najma Heptullah
- Mysore (Karnataka) has topped the Swachh Bharat rankings among 476 cities in the
- Damoh (Madhya Pradesh) came at the bottom at 476th, preceded by Bhind (MP), Palwal and Bhiwani of Haryana.
- Top 10 ranked cities
- Thiruchirapalli (Tamil Nadu),
- Navi Mumbai, Kochi (Kerala),
- Mandya and Bengaluru from Karnataka,
- Thiruvananthapuram, Halisahar (West Bengal)
- Gangtok (Sikkim).
Business & Economy
- In a big relief to lakhs of internet users on Mobile phones, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has asked telecom companies to keep subscribers informed of all important stages of data usage.
- The directive issued by TRAI mandates telecom operators to provide toll free number '1925' from September 1st to activate or deactivate mobile internet service either by making a call on the number and following instruction or by sending a SMS.
- The new directive from telecom regulator TRAI follows a large number of complaints from customers that mobile operators were keeping the process of deactivation very complex to earn extra revenue.
- Taiwanese contract phone maker Foxconn today announced that it will invest $5 billion within a period of five years for establishing a production unit in Maharashtra.
- The project is touted to create 50,000 new jobs.
- Foxconn Chairman : Terry Gou
- Maharashtra Chief Minister : Devendra Fadnavis
Science & Technology
- Technology giant Microsoft has launched Microsoft Translator, a translator app that can be used on a wide variety of devices and supports 50 different languages.
- Note : Google’s Translate app, on the other hand, supports only 27 languages for text and voice conversion.
- Niloy Neel, a Bangladeshi blogger known for his atheist views has been hacked to death by a gang armed with machetes in the capital Dhaka,.
- Note : He is the fourth secularist blogger to have been killed this year by suspected Islamist militants in Bangladesh.
- Acharya Dev Vrat has been appointed the governor of Himachal Pradesh.
- Ram Nath Kovind has been named governor of Bihar.
- Consulting and outsourcing firm Accenture has named Rekha Menon as its new India chairman to succeed Avinash Vashistha who resigned in July.
- Accenture also appointed Anindya Basu as its new country managing director for India.
- 2015 Ashes Series
- England beat Australia to win 4th Test to regain Ashes.
- Australia's Test captain Michael Clarke announced his retirement from international cricket after the team's Ashes series loss today.