- Today (1st Sunday of August) is International Friendship Day.
- The first World Friendship Day was proposed in the year 1958 at Paraguay.
- Pakistan today released 163 Indian fishermen from a jail Karachi as goodwill gesture following a recent understanding between Pak Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi in Russia.
- The two sides had decided to release fishermen in each other's custody, along with their boats, within a period of 15 days, addressing one of the major humanitarian issues between them.
- India once again has been successful in protecting its traditional knowledge by preventing an attempt made by Europe's Leading Dermaceutical Laboratory - Pangaea Laboratories Limited, to take patent on a medicinal composition containing turmeric, pine bark and green tea for treating hair loss.
- The above UK based company had filed the patent application at European Patent office in February, 2011.
- Traditional Knowledge Digital Library of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR-TKDL), headed by Dr. Archana Sharma, submitted proof in the form of references from ancient books in this case, which said the herb and its extracts of Myristica Fragrans were historically used for oral diseases in Indian systems of medicine.
- Government is contemplating with idea of No-work-no-pay formula for Parliamentarians.
- This is being done in view of continue logjam in Parliament.
People in News
- Manbir Kaur, a 15-year-old Sikh girl in Pakistan has emerged as the first girl from the minority community to be among the toppers of the Class 10 examination.
- She has secured more than 1,000 marks in Secondary School Examination (SCE) this year, securing 1,035 marks out of 1,100.
Business & Economy
- The income tax department has notified tax return forms for non-salaried class, including companies, partners in firms and individuals deriving their income from proprietary business or profession.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has notified ITR 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 for Assessment Year 2015-16.
- These forms are used by non-salaried entities to file income tax returns.
- Indian squash player Joshna Chinappa wins Victorian Open Squash title in Melbourne.
- Continuing its efforts to clean up the game, the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) today said it will put in place a Player Agent Accreditation System to ensure that those handling the cricketers’ commercial interests are bound by a code of conduct.
- BCCI President : Jagmohan Dalmiya
- Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan’s entry to Wankhede Stadium.
- Note : The Bollywood star was banned for five years from entering MCA premises, including the Wankhede Stadium, by the Association’s Managing Committee, headed by the late Vilasrao Deshmukh, on May 18, 2012 after he was involved in an altercation with the security staff and officials of the cricket body following Kolkata Knight Riders’ victory over Mumbai Indians two nights earlier.
- South Sudan becomes Olympic movement's 206th member
- The country has became 206th member of the Olympic family after the International Olympic Committee approved its inclusion, despite ongoing fighting in the African country.
- Note : South Sudan's marathon runner Guor Marial competed at the London 2012 Olympics but did so under the Olympic flag after refusing to run for Sudan and with South Sudan not yet an IOC member at the time.
- With the country now officially part of the IOC, it can send a team to next year's Rio summer Olympics who can compete under its own flag.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here