- Bihar government today banned sale of all brands of noodles in the state saying they are not fit for human consumption.
- The state government had earlier banned only Maggi but now all other brands like Knorr, Top Ramen etc have also been banned.
- The decision has been taken after laboratory investigation of samples of all the brands of noodles present in the market.
- A high level of lead along with excessive amounts of taste enhancer such as monosodium glutamate (MSG) were detected in the food item.
- The Kanwar Teerth Yatra, the biggest yatra of north India, formally began today, the first day of the sacred month of Sawan of the Hindu calendar.
- India’s first Harbour Defence System commissioned in Kochi.
- This top-notch defence system will enable operators to foresee, and respond to, surface and sub-surface threats to vital assets along the harbour and warships in the quay.
- The Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS), a state-of-the-art automated system capable of detecting, identifying, tracking and generating warning for surface and underwater threats, was commissioned by Vice-Admiral Sunil Lanba, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command.
- World Breastfeeding Week (WBW), an annual celebration which is being held every year from 1 to 7 August in more than 120 countries, has started today.
- Being organized by WABA (World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action), WHO (World Health Organization) and UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund), WBW came up with the goal to promote exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life which yields tremendous health benefits, providing critical nutrients, protection from deadly diseases such as pneumonia and fostering growth and development for the first time in 1991.
- Themes of World Breastfeeding Week (WBW)
- 2010 - “Breastfeeding, Just 10 Steps! – The baby friendly way”.
- 2011 - “Talk To Me! Breastfeeding – A 3D Experience”.
- 2012 - “Understanding the Past, Planning for the Future”.
- 2013 - “Breastfeeding Support: Close To Mothers”.
- 2014 - “Breastfeeding: A Winning Goal – For Life!”
- 2015 - “Breastfeeding and Work – Let’s Make it Work!”
- In order to enhance its presence in the Central Asia and explore new business opportunities, BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited) has signed three strategic agreements with Kazakh companies during the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent visit to Kazakhstan.
- First MoU : This was signed with JSC Samruk Energy, the national power utility of Kazakhstan having a major share in the Kazakh power sector. Both companies will work together on the projects of mutual interest.
- 2nd MOU : BHEL signed this MoU for comprehensive co-operation in the energy sector for design and construction of power plants and CHP (combined heat and power plants) with KUS, one of the largest utility companies in the Kazakh power sector operating in power generation; heat production; transmission; sale of heat and electricity, etc.
- KUS is owned by the Ordabassy Group, total assets of the group is estimated at more than $9 billion.
- 3rd MoU : This MOU was signed by BHEL with Kaznex Invest, the national export and investment agency of Kazakhstan (working under the Ministry of Investments and Development of Kazakhstan), for co-operation in executing projects in Kazakhstan.
Business & Economy
- Delhi govt slashes VAT rates from 12.5% to 5 % in three categories: metal utensils, wax of all kinds, wood and timber.
- With this move, Utensils and wooden or timber furniture will now cost cheaper in the national capital.
- As many as 10 Indian companies, including Aurobindo Pharma, HCL Technologies, Tata Consultancy Services, and HDFC Bank, have made it to the Forbes Asia Fabulous 50 list.
- The other Indian companies on the list include Lupin, Motherson Sumi Systems, Sun Pharma Industries, Tata Motors, Tech Mahindra and Titan.
- Note : India has the second-highest number of companies on the list (China topped) for the fifth year in a row.
- Travel company Thomas Cook India has acquired Sri Lanka-based destination management firm, Luxe Asia, for an undisclosed sum.
- Tata Motors has bagged order to supply 1,239 high mobility vehicles worth Rs. 914 crore to the Indian Army.
- The indigenously developed 6x6 multi-axle trucks for loading and unloading ammunition need to be delivered in 24 months.
- The company along with Mahindra and Mahindra have also been short listed for supply of 3,192 vehicles to the Army, which is replacing Maruti Suzuki’s Gypsy and Mahindra Commander.
- Ranveer Singh Saini created history by becoming the first Indian to win a gold medal at the Special Olympics World Games in Los Angeles.
- The Sports Ministry today confirmed that Wimbledon doubles champion Sania Mirza has been recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- Note : Sania won her career's first ever women's doubles Grand Slam title with Swiss partner Martina Hingis in July. She also became world number one before winning the Grass Court major.
- Rajat Chauhan wins silver in compound men's event at the World Archery Championship.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here