People in News
Business & Economy
- Today (13th August) is International Lefthanders Day.
- This day was first observed on the 13th of August, in the year 1976.
- We observe this day to promote awareness of the inconveniences faced by left-handers in a predominantly right-handed world.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif in on a visit to India.
- During this visit, he will call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and hold talks with his Indian counterpart Sushma Swaraj.
- The visit assumes significance as it will be first trip by a key minister of Iran after it reached the historic pact on its contentious nuclear programme with the Western countries in July.
- In a significant decision, Maharashtra government has came up with a Government
- Once the GR is promulgated, Dahi Handi will be a part of physical training classes in schools and colleges throughout the year.
- The government is forming a state-level committee that will formulate the rules of the game and organise competitions across the state.
- Bombay High Court today quashed orders of food regulators banning Maggi noodles.
- The court allowed Nestle (manufacturer of Maggi) to send five samples of each variant of noodles for fresh testing to three laboratories in Punjab, Hyderabad and Jaipur.
- If lead content is found below permissible limit by the three laboratories, Nestle will be allowed to manufacture Maggi noodles.
- The Madhya Pradesh forest department has made it to Guinness Book of World Record for planting more than 1 crore saplings in a single day during the 'Hariyali Mahotsav' last year.
- Indian Railways has inked 4 MoUs with Union Power Ministry to save power, improve efficiency
- The First MoU was signed between the Power and Railways Ministries for knowledge sharing in the field of electricity and energy conservation to reduce the cost of electricity for the Railways.
- The Second MOU was signed between Railways Ministry and Ministry of New & Renewable Energy to promote solar energy usage.
- The Third MOU was signed between Railways Ministry and the Bureau of Energy Efficiency to identify technologies to improve energy utilisation.
- The Fourth MOU was signed between the Railway Energy Management Company and Energy Efficiency Services Ltd for implementation of energy efficient systems and conservation projects for the Railways.
- Union Railways Minister : Suresh Prabhu
- Om Prakash Munjal (86), the founder chairman of bicycle giant Hero Cycles passed away.
- Munjal is also known as the father of Indian cycle industry.
- The Hero Cycles factory was set up in 1956 in Ludhiana with a capacity for producing 25 cycles a day, it now produces nearly 19,000 cycles daily.
- Note : Listed in the Guinness Books of World Records in 1986 as the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world, Hero Cycles commands nearly 48% of the market share in the country.
People in News
- Abid Alvi, a Muslim youth from Uttar Pradesh has translated Hindu prayer Hanuman Chalisa into Urdu after.
- This came right after an Urdu poet Anwar Jalalpuri translated the Bhagvad Gita into Urdu.
Business & Economy
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the 300-crore rupees package to save standing kharif agriculture and horticulture crops from weak monsoon.
- The committee also approved easing of norms for sugar mills to borrow soft loans of six thousand crore rupees to help clear sugarcane arrears.
- Indian rupee failed to maintain its initial gains and breached 65 against US dollar, its weakest since September 2013.
- Note : The rupee has remained under pressure ever since China has devalued yuan on Tuesday.
- Govt revises the National Solar Mission target of Grid connected solar power projects from 20,000 MW to 1 lakh MW by 2022.
- Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu entered quarterfinals of World Badminton championships at Jakarta.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here