People in News
Business & Economy
- Today (27th June) is 177th Birth Anniversary of Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, the father of India's national song "Vande Mataram".
- Today is India's best known Soldier, Padma Bhushan, Legendary Field Marshal Sam Manek Shaw's 7th Death anniversary .
- He is India's first Indian Army officer to be promoted to the five star rank of field marshal
- He was popularly known as Sam Bahadur (Sam the Brave)
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has ordered a CBI probe into the functioning of one of the publishing firms owned by social activist Teesta Setalvad and also seized one of the bank accounts associated with it for violation of FCRA.
- FCRA : Foreign Contributions Regulation Act
- Indian Railways is going to start Monsoon special trains from Delhi via Mumbai to Konkan and Goa next season to boost tourism.
- The Railways are also exploring the possibility of introducing a high spending Maharaja type train from Delhi towards Goa.
- Ministry of Railways - India : Suresh Prabhu
- The Andhra Pradesh government has unveiled a plan to formulate a 'Krishi cabinet' with a group of ministers headed by Chief Minister to give more thrust on agriculture.
- With this move, Andhra Pradesh is set to become Third State after Bihar and Madhya Pradesh to have the Krishi cabinet in the country.
- Note : The Andhra Pradesh government has introduced a separate budget exclusively for agriculture in 2015-16 with an outlay of Rs 14,184.03 crore.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister : N Chandrababu Naidu
- In a landmark judgment, US Supreme Court legalizes same-sex marriage across all the 50 states of United States.
- The order is seen as a big victory for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community, which for decades have been fighting for their rights.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj in on a visit to Thailand for the 16th World Sanskrit Conference beginning on 28th June 2015.
- Over 600 scholars from 60 countries are participating in this conference.
- In view of terror attack in the resort town of Sousse, Tunisia has decided to close down 80 mosques in the country accused of inciting violence.
- Note : At least 39 people were killed when a gunman opened fire on tourists in the resort town of Sousse.
People in News
- India has recalled its envoy to New Zealand Ravi Thapar following allegations that his wife assaulted a member of his domestic staff. -
- A First Information Report (FIR) was filed against Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Vigilance Director K.B. Singh for falsely implicating former DGP Prakash Mishra in a financial irregularities case.
- According to an analysis released by the World Resources Institute (WRI), India is fourth largest carbon emitter in the world.
- Top 10 Largest Carbon emitters :
- China (25.26%),
- US (14.4%),
- European Union (10.16%),
- India (6.69%),
- Russia (5.36%),
- Japan (3.11%),
- Brazil (2.34%),
- Indonesia (1.76%),
- Mexico (1.67%)
- Iran (1.65%).
Business & Economy
- Australia has announced that it is going to join the new China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) as a founding member.
- Australia is contributing about $930 million
- Note : India will be the second largest shareholder.
- India has become most attractive investment destination in world after it was ranked first among 110 countries in a ranking of destinations for attractiveness to foreign investors.
- The ranking was based on Baseline Profitability Index (BPI) 2015.
- International Cricket Council (ICC) Chief Executive Dave Richardson has announced significant changes to the One-Day International playing conditions.
- Main changes :
- Scraps batting power play,
- Allows 5 fielder outside 30 yards circle in last 10 overs
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here