People in News
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between India and Netherlands for development of vaccines.
- The MoU signed under ‘Make in India’ initiative of Government of India will enable the Bharat Immunologicals and Biologicals Corporation Ltd (BIBCOL), a Central PSU under Department of Biotechnology, to develop Measles – Rubella vaccine at its plant at Chola, Bulandshahr, Institute for Translational Vaccinology (INTRAVACC) a government-based institute of the Netherlands will extend technical support for the development of vaccine.
- Prime Minister of The Netherlands : Mark Rutte
- With the Maggi controversy raising serious health concerns, food safety regulator FSSAI today ordered testing of noodles, pastas and macaroni brands such as Top Ramen, Foodles and Wai Wai sold and manufactured by seven companies to check compliance of norms.
- FSSAI : Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
- Three days after issuing circular to hospitals to conduct two-finger test on rape victims and
- The circular was issued to hospitals on May 29 stating that Per Vaginal (PV) examination, also referred to as ‘two-finger test’, for rape survivors can be conducted with their consent.
- Note : The Supreme Court in May, 2013 also had held that the test violates a survivor’s right to privacy and had asked the government to provide better medical procedures to confirm sexual assault.
- Women's rights activists have also been objecting to this test for years.
People in News
- Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav today confirmed that Nitish Kumar will be the chief-ministerial candidate of the JD(U)-RJD alliance for the upcoming Bihar polls.
- Centre appoints Senior most Information Commissioner Vijai Sharma as new Chief Information Commissioner (CIC).
- Former Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes, K V Chowdary is the new Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC).
- Note : With Chowdary's appointment, the government has for the first time broken away with the tradition of appointing an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer as the chief of the anti-corruption watchdog since it was formed in 1964.
- T M Bhasin, Chairman and Managing Director of Indian Bank, has been appointed as Vigilance Commissioner (VC)
- Sudhir Bhargava, former Social Justice and Empowerment Secretary, has been named as Information Commissioner (IC).
- Senior IPS officer R C Tayal has been appointed as the new chief of the elite counter-terror force National Security Guard (NSG).
- Peter Petherick (72), the former New Zealand offspinner, passed away.
- Petherick was famous for taking a Test hat-trick on debut.
- He achieved that feat playing against Pakistan in Lahore in 1976.
- England’s Maurice Allom was first, against New Zealand in Christchurch in January 1930
- Note : Maurice Allom, the former England pacer, was the first to take a Test hat-trick on debut, against New Zealand in Christchurch in January 1930.
- Dasaradhi Rangacharya (86), a well-known poet and writer of Telangana, who minced no words in expressing his impatience with the autocratic rule of the NIzam, passed away.
- 'Chillara Devullu' (The Lesser Deities) and 'Modugu Poolu' (Fire Flowers) are his famous works.
- Note : Chillara Devullu brought him Central Sahitya Akademi award.
- French Open 2015
- Stanislas Wawrinka wins Men's title beating Novak Djokovic.
- The Virat Kohli-led Indian cricket team arrived in Dhaka today for a short series against Bangladesh.
- Indian team will play a one off Test that begins on Wednesday followed by three One-day Internationals.
- Former India left-arm spinner Venkatapathy Raju is all set to guide the national cricket team from Nepal during their ongoing 15-day camp in Dharamsala.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here