Business & Economy
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today arrived on a two-day "historic" visit to Bangladesh.
- This is his maiden visit to Bangladesh.
- Highlights of the Visit
- Modi starts this tour with homage to 1971 martyrs.
- India and Bangladesh exchange historic land deal documents.
- Both countries agree to have zero tolerance against extremism; Also to discuss sharing of waters of 54 common rivers.
- India and Bangladesh inked as many as 22 agreements, including on curbing human trafficking, smuggling of fake currency and setting up an Indian Economic Zone, to boost bilateral ties.
- India has announced to give US $2 billion in credit line to Bangladesh.
- Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and Sheikh Hasina flagged off two transboundary buses linking Guwahati to Dhaka via Shillong and Kolkata to Tripura via Dhaka in the presence of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- The Kolkata-Tripura route via Dhaka cuts the journey time by almost 1000 kms as compared to the currently used route via the northeast.
- India will also push for involvement of Indian companies in setting up of ports in that country.
- Andhra Pradesh chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu laid the foundation stone (bhoomi puja) for the new capital city Amaravathi near Tullur in Guntur district today.
- The performance of 'Bhumi Puja' for the new capital city is more of a symbolic gesture as the government stated that the actual construction work would begin only from Vijaya Dashmi in October.
- Important Details about Andhra Pradesh
- Official Language : Telugu
- Capital : Hyderabad (from 2024 Amaravati)
- Total Districts : 13
- Governor : E. S. L. Narasimhan
- Chief Minister : Nara Chandrababu Naidu
- Note : On 2nd June 2014, the the north-western portion of the state was bifurcated to form a new state of Telangana (Capita : Hyderabad).
- India’s first green police station was inaugurated at Maurice Nagar in north Delhi.
- The police station has various provisions for preservation and safety of the environment.
- The green police station will be kept “naturally cool” by coating its roof with slaked lime.
- Earthern pots will be placed on the roofs and water sprinkler system will be put in place which will be expected to reduce the overall temperature of the police station.
- Union urban development minister Venkaiah Naidu today said draft plans for the proposed 100 smart cities and the new urban transformation mission will be unveiled soon.
- The government has proposed to spend around Rs 1 lakh crore on the two schemes over the next five years.
- While Rs 48,000 crore have been earmarked for 100 smart cities, Rs 50,000 crore are marked for the Amrut scheme for 500 cities.
- Health minister J.P.Nadda today said that Centre will establish 16 new AIIMS in the country soon.
- Union Minister of State for Water Resources and River Development Sanwar Lal Jat today launched the Jal Kranti Abhiyan 2015-2016.
- The Union Government launched the drive from three places today, covering 672 water deficient districts in the country.
- Prominent scientist Ameenah Gurib-Fakim has taken over as president of Mauritius.
- Gurib-Fakim is the first female president of the island nation, which gained independence from Britain in 1968.
- She has also worked with the World Bank and other international institutions.
- Infosys has announced that its board has appointed R Seshasayee as the IT giant's non-executive chairman with immediate effect.
- Note : KV Kamath is stepping down from his position as chairman and independent director of Infosys, consequent to his nomination as president of the BRICS New Development Bank.
Business & Economy
- Kotak Mahindra Bank and ING Bank have joined hands for exploring opportunities arising from cross-border business, investment and trade flows across various regions, including Europe.
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU), signed between the two, covers an array of co-operation in areas such as trade finance, remittances and services related to non-resident Indians, funding to counterparties' corporate relationships, fee-based products, direct banking and digital strategy, and cross-border debt capital markets and mergers and acquisitions.
- Actress Aarthi Agarwal (31), who has acted in Telugu, Tamil and Hindi movies died after suffering a cardiac arrest due to respiratory complications at a hospital in the US today.
- In a major breakthrough in transplant surgery, U.S. doctors led by Dr. Michael Klebuc, have successfully performed the world’s first skull-scalp transplant on a 55-year-old man (James Boysen), who suffered a large head wound from cancer treatment.
- French Open Tennis
- Serena Williams wins Women's Singles title.
- Former captain Rahul Dravid was today appointed coach of the India A and under-19 cricket teams.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here