- Sweden, a key member of the MTCR, has expressed support for India’s claim to permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and membership of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR).
- The state of Telangana is celebrating the first anniversary of its foundation.
- Telangana is 29th state of India, which came into being on June 2 last year, after Andhra Pradesh was split into two states — Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Important Points to Note :
- Capital : Hyderabad
- Districts : 10
- Official Languages : Telugu, Urdu
- Chief Minister : K Chandrasekhar Rao
- Maharashtra Becomes The Second State To Ban The Sale Of Loose Cigarettes
- The state health department of Maharashtra announced today that the sale of loose cigarettes would henceforth be banned.
- The reason provided was that there was no way to warn the buyers of loose cigarettes about the dangers of smoking, a statutory warning about which, is generally printed on cigarette packets.
- The state is also banning chewing tobacco in public places.
- Note : In January, Punjab banned the sale of loose cigarettes. The state of Maharashtra will now follow its suit.
- Maggie Noodles Controversy
- Kerala govt issues an order to temporarily stop distribution of Maggi Noodles in the state in the wake of Uttar Pradesh FSDA finding monosodium glutamate and lead above permissible limits in it.
- A Bihar Court directs police to register FIR against Maggi Noodles Brand ambassadors and Nestle officials.
- Samples of Maggi noddles were also found "unsafe" for consumption in the national capital prompting Delhi government to contemplate action against its manufacturer Nestle India.
- Delhi Health Minister : Satyendra Jain
- Gatiman Express, the semi high speed train between Delhi-Agra successfully completed its trial run today.
- This is the first Semi High Speed Train of India.
- It runs at the speed of 160 km/hr.
- This train is expected to flag off by PM Modi on 9th June.
- With 11 children disappearing every hour in the country, the government today rolled out "KhoyaPaya", a web platform for people to directly report, track and upload information on missing children.
- The first-of-its-kind web portal was launched by the Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister : Maneka Sanjah Gandhi.
- The website, www.khoyapaya.gov.in, will answer all queries as to what action is to be taken when a child goes missing.
- The government of Mauritius today designated Ameenah Gurib-Fakim as it's new president.
- She became the first woman to hold the ceremonial position.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed Meena Hemchandra as the executive director who would be in charge of department of banking supervision.
- She will also be in charge of department of non-banking supervision and department of co-operative banking supervision.
- Note : RBI's executive director Chandan Sinha, who was incharge of these departments will now be in charge of department of information technology, department of payment and settlement system, foreign exchange department and financial markets regulations departments- including market intelligence.
- Note : RBI has 11 executive director in charge of various departments.
Business & Economy
- The Reserve Bank of India in its second bi-monthly policy announced today has reduced the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) by 25 basis points from 7.5 per cent to 7.25 per cent with immediate effect.
- Check new RBI Rates from here
- State Bank of India (SBI), the nation’s largest lender, today reduced its base rate by 15 basis points after the Reserve Bank of India cut repo rate by 25 basis points.
- SBI reduced its base rate or minimum lending rate to 9.70 per cent from 9.85 per cent
- This new rate will be effective from 8th June2015.
- State run BSNL’s telecom services, which nearly 10 crore people use all over the country, will now have free nation-wide roaming.
- A BSNL user’s geographic location doesn’t matter anymore.
- Where ever they use their mobile in the country, there will be no roaming charges.
- Note : BSNL last month introduced an unlimited free calling scheme during night hours to revive its landline business.
- Telecom and IT Minister : Ravi Shankar Prasad
Awards & Honors
- Recognizing his outstanding support for the country’s independence from Pakistan in 1971 when he was a Lok Sabha member, Bangladesh has decided to honour former premier Atal Bihari Vajpayee with the ‘Friends of Bangladesh Liberation War Award’ this month.
People in News
- Six months after arrest, Bengaluru police today filed a charge-sheet against 24-year-old Mehdi Masroor Biswas, the suspected handler of the pro-Islamic State twitter account @ShamiWitness.
- Mehdi was charged with eight sections of the Indian penal Code (IPC) including unlawful activities, conspiracy, supporting a terrorist organisation, waging war against the State, sedition and promoting enmity.
- Hemant Sonawala (78), one of the founders of the country's IT industry and chairman of Hinditron Group, passed awa.
- He was also the founder of Digital Equipment India, which later became a part of HP India in 1988.
- Note : Digital Equipment India was the first technology IPO in India.
- Ravi Shastri has been named India's team director for the upcoming tour to Bangladesh, while Sanjay Bangar, Bharat Arun and R Sridhar will continue as assistant coaches for the tour.
- Sepp Blatter resigned as FIFA president today in the face of a U.S.-led corruption investigation that has plunged world soccer's governing body into the worst crisis in its history.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here