- The Government has asked the Chief Ministers of Bihar, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan to encourage supply of free milk to school children.
- In a letter to these states, Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh said, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh have already implemented the scheme of free supply of milk products to increase the nutritional level in the Mid- Day Meal for school children.
- Ministry of External Affairs, India Sushma Swaraj launches "mPassport", a police verification mobile application.
- The Centre has decided to change the name and nature of Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI), a four-year-old central public sector undertaking set up as a not-for-profit company to promote solar energy in India.
- Note : SECI will be renamed as Renewable Energy Corporation of India (RECI) and as such its activities will embrace all branches of renewable energy, not just solar.
- The government has exempted builders from obtaining prior green nod for construction of Universities, School, College and Hostel facilities provided they follow sustainable environment practices.
- However, for construction of medical universities and institutes having hospital facilities, prior environment clearance is required.
- Today (26th June) is International Day in Support of Victims of Torture.
- This day is observed by United Nations to to speak out against the crime of torture and to honor and support victims and survivors throughout the world.
- Theme for the year 2015 : Right To Rehabilitation (R2R)
- 26th June is also observed as International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
- This day is a United Nations International Day against drug abuse and the illegal drug trade.
- India and United States signed a series of Memorandam of Understanding (MOUs) aimed at development of health sectors.
- These agreements include enhanced cooperation in areas like infrastructure development, cancer research, capacity building and development of new diagnostic technologies.
- These MOUs are :
- MoU on cancer research, control, prevention and management
- MoU on collaboration in Environmental, occupational Health and Injury Prevention and Control
- Letter of Intent (LoI) on Anti-microbial Resistance Research
People in News
Awards & Honors
- The Indian Basketball player hailing from remote village of Ballo Ke (Punjab), Satnam Singh has made history by becoming the first Indian to be drafted in NBA League.
- He will play for Dallas Mavericks.
- NBA : National Basketball Association (United States)
- Government sharply hiked the Minimum Export Price (MEP) of onion by USD 175 per tonne to USD 425 per tonne to ensure adequate domestic supply and contain price rise.
- The new MEP, which is the minimum rate at which a product can be exported —will be applicable with immediate effect.
- Note : The government imposes MEP to restrict outbound shipments and check price rise in the domestic market.
- According to a UN report, India leads regional inflow of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in South Asia accounting for $ 34 billion investment during 2014 and the upward trend is likely to continue this year also.
- India is likely to maintain an upward trend in 2015 as economy recovery gains ground, the report adds.
- Note : This report announced that China is the world's largest FDI recipient.
Awards & Honors
- Noted Hindi writer Dr Vishwanath Tripathi selected for 28th Moortidevi award for year 2014.
- He was selected for his Vyomkesh Darvesh.
- Note : Vyomkesh Darvesh is the fictional biography of noted Hindi critic Acharya Hazariparasad Dwivedi, the doyen of Hindi languages.
- This book explores the nuances of Dwivedi’s struggle, his philosophy, myth embedded in his life in a unique style.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here