- India has pledged $1 billion in assistance to quake-ravaged Nepal for its massive reconstruction programme, asserting that it will strongly stand behind the Nepalese government which is seeking to "wipe the tears" of every Nepali.
- The government is planning to invest around 30 thousand crore rupees for development of road networks in West Bengal.
- Union minister for Roads and Transport : Nitin Gadkari
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched Three Flagship Schemes for Urban Rejuvenation.
- The three projects are Smart Cities Mission, Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) and Housing For All.
- These schemes will be an important milestone for urban development.
- Important Details you should know about these three schemes.
- Housing For All :
- This scheme is also known as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
- This scheme will enable decent houses to all the needy, particularly the economically weaker sections and low income groups.
- This scheme aims to provide at least 20 million homes to people belonging to the economically weaker sections and lower income categories over the next seven years.
- Expected cost : Rs.3 trillion.
- Smart Cities Mission:
- This Scheme is aimed at applying smart solutions to improve infrastructure and service delivery in the cities.
- Expected cost : Rs. 48,000
- AMRUT :
- AMRUT is an acronym of Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and the Urban Transformation.
- This mission is aimed at infrastructure development of 500 cities with population of over one lakh.
- Expected cost : Rs.50,000 crore
- The Civil Aviation Ministry has cleared a proposal for setting up a second airport in the National Capital Region of Delhi.
- Minister of State for Civil Aviation : Mahesh Sharma
- Today (25th June 2015) marks the 40th anniversary of imposition of Emergency in the country.
- PM Narendra Modi termed it as darkest period of the nation.
Awards & Honors
- Spiritual leader Ravi Shankar has been conferred with Orden de la Democracia Simon Bolivar en el grado de cruz Caballero (Colombia's highest civilian award) for his contribution to peace issues around the world, particularly in the Latin American country.
- The Andhra Pradesh government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with NSL Mining Resources India Pvt. Ltd, an Australian firm for beneficiation, the process to separate the required mineral from extracted ore and remove the unusable part, of low-grade iron ore.
- AP Mining Development Corporation (APMDC) and NSL Mining Resources India Pvt. Ltd., a subsidiary of Australia's NSL Consolidated Ltd. inked this MoU for low-grade iron ore from reserves in Kurnool and Kadapa.
- The MoU was signed during Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu's meeting with an Australian delegation led by Steven Ciobo, parliamentary secretary to the Australian trade and investment minister.
Business & Economy
- In Delhi, Aam Aadmi party government presented its first budget.
- The govt proposed 106 per cent hike in allocation for education sector.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the deadline for exchanging pre-2005 currency notes of various denominations, including of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000, by six months till December 31, 2015.
- Note : RBI had, in December 2014, set the last date for public to exchange these notes as 30th June 2015.
- RBI has also issued Rs 100 denomination banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi Series – 2005 with a new numbering pattern.
- Now the numerals in both the number panels of these banknotes will be in ascending size from left to right, while the first three alphanumeric characters (prefix) will remain constant in size.
- Former Pakistan captain Zaheer Abbas appointed as new International Cricket Council (ICC) president (for 1 year term).
- India’s legendary batsman Sachin Tendulkar has been voted the ‘Best Test player’ of the 21st century in an online poll conducted by Cricket Australia’s website (cricket.com.au).
- Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara received the second highest votes, followed by Adam Gilchrist of Australia in the third position.
- Indian Women's team record 3-1 victory over Poland in World Hockey League semi-finals.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here