- Today is World Milk Day
- This day was initiated on 1st June 2001 by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations to celebrate all aspects of milk as a global food.
- Important Note : National Milk Day is different. We observe National Milk Day on 26th November to celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr.Verghese Kurien.
- India and Sweden today signed six agreements to enhance bilateral co-operation between the two countries .
- These include MoUs on Sustainable Urban Development , Micro , Small and Medium Enterprises , health and visa waiver programme for diplomatic passport holders .
- The agreements were signed in presence of President Pranab Mukherjee and Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven at Stockholm this afternoon.
- South Korea has reported 17 cases of MERS since a man tested positive following a trip to Saudi Arabia and became the country’s first MERS patient earlier this month.
- More than 680 people have been placed in isolation after having contact with those infected with the virus that has killed hundreds of people in the Middle East.
- About MERS :
- MERS was discovered in the year 2012 and has mostly been centred in Saudi Arabia.
- It belongs to the family of coronaviruses that includes the common cold and SARS, and can cause fever, breathing problems, pneumonia and kidney failure.
- MERS - Middle East Respiratory Syndrome
- The government today reversed its earlier stand on taking Kargil martyr Saurabh Kalia's
- Government has now decided to take up the killing of Captain Saurabh Kalia by Pakistani forces during Kargil war to International court of Justice after approval of Supreme Court.
- Captain Kalia, 25, and five other soldiers were captured alive on 15 May, 1999, by Pakistani troops when they had gone out for patrol duty in the Kaskar area of Kargil. They were kept in captivity and were subjected to unspeakable torture.
- Their mutilated bodies were handed over to India after 15 days.
- Union Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan today launched a BIS App to register complaints against sub-standard quality of ISI marked products and Hallmark jewellery.
- BIS - Bureau of Indian Standards
- West Bengal govt decides to incur 1 crore rupees to renovate Rabindra Bhawan at Mungpoo in Darjeeling.
- Noble laureate Rabindranath Tagore had stayed on four occasion between 1938 and 1940 at Rabindra Bhawan.
- A research institute named ‘Tagore in Mungpoo’ will also be established and 4 crore rupees have been sanctioned for this.
- Bus services between Mungpoo, Siliguri and Darjeeling will also be introduced to facilitate the tourists soon.
- As a part of Punjab government’s efforts to give further fillip to the “all round development of the State”, the govt today announced that the year 2015-16 will be observed as the “year of development“.
- The State government has been already making concerted efforts for the overall development of the urban and rural areas, during this phase, focus of the State government will be to provide ultra modern civic amenities to the people in urban and rural areas.
- Chief Minister : Parkash Singh Badal
Business & Economy
- Service tax goes up to 14 percent from 12.36 percent from today.
- Railways, Airlines, Banking, Mobile and Construction to become costlier.
Science & Technology
- Microsoft will roll out Windows 10, the latest version of its Windows operating system at the end of July (29th July 2015).
- The company has announced today that Windows 10 is designed with mobile computing in mind, allowing users to switch seamlessly between personal computers, tablets, smartphones and other gadgets.
- The operating system is intended to give apps a similar feel on all devices and comes with a new Web browser integrated with Cortana, the company’s voice-activated answer to Apple’s Siri.
- Microsoft CEO : Satya Nadella
People in News
- Ingeborg Rapoport, a 102-year-old German woman is set to become the oldest person to receive a doctorate which will be awarded to her by the Hamburg University next week, 77 years after the Nazis blocked it because she was Jewish.
- Harriette Thompson, a 92 year old cancer survivor, becomes the oldest woman to finish a Marathon in San Diego.
- She completed Sunday’s Rock ’n’ Roll Marathon in San Diego in 7hr 24min 36sec.
- Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, a Kargil war veteran, today took over as the Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force.
- He succeeds Air Marshal Ravi Kant Sharma demitted the office yesterday, after 40 years of service in the IAF.
- Former IAS officer Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa was sworn in as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh today.
- Rajkhowa will take over from his duties from Lt. Gen Nirbhay Sharma, who has been shifted to Mizoram.
- Former cricketers Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman were today inducted into the BCCI's newly-constituted cricket advisory committee.
- The panel will guide the Board in all matters related to the game.
- This panel will also focus on a range of challenges including improving overseas record.
- Kolkata giants Mohun Bagan clinched their maiden I-League title in 13 years after managing a 1-1 draw against defending champions Bengaluru FC at Kanteerva Stadium in Bengaluru.
- Kei Nishikori becomes the first Japanese man in more than 80 years to reach the quarterfinals at the French Open.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here