Science & Technology
People in News
- PM Narendra Modi spoke to his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif, Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina and Afghanistan President Dr Ashraf Ghani and conveyed good wishes for the holy month of Ramadan to them and their people.
- He expressed hope for peace, tranquility and harmony in their countries and in the region during this month of piety and prayers.
- Nepal today reopened six heritage sites for the public in a bid to woo tourists back, nearly two months after deadly earthquakes severely damaged some of the country's historic cultural sites and killed nearly 9,000 people.
- The six sites, including Pashupatinath, Swoyambhu, Lumbini, Kathmand Durbarsquare, Patan Durbarsquare and Bhaktapur Durbarsquare, enlisted by the UNESCO have been reopened for public.
- Important Details about Nepal :
- Capital : Kathmandu
- Currency : Nepalese rupee
- Prime Minister : Sushil Koirala
- President : Ram Baran Yadav
- The Uttar Pradesh Food and Drug Administration today said it has found detergent in one of
- Note : Mother Dairy is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the National Dairy Development Board.
- Centre today announced an additional ex-gratia relief of 500 crore rupees and 1000 crore rupees for restoration of damaged structures in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Home Minister : Rajnath Singh
- Union Minister for Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad launched half-an-hour free Wi-Fi Interet facility in the Taj Mahal complex.
- With this, the tourists visiting the Taj Mahal will now be able to upload selfies or photographs clicked with their loved ones directly from Taj Mahal.
- BSNL has made special arrangements to introduce this facility with support from Quadgen, a Bengaluru-based company.
- Indian Railways has named Haridwar Mail as Yoga Express.
- Note : The government is celebrating ‘International Yoga Day‘ on 21st of this month.
- The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with DD Kisan channel to provide meaningful content related to farm and dairy sector.
- The MoU aims at dissemination of up-to-date technical know-hows to farmers, improve their livelihood and income by enhancing their knowledge, and provide information on various technical issues related to farming in broader sense,.
- NDDB Chairman : T Nanda Kumar
Science & Technology
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh today launched an Augmented Reality (AR) application named Sakaar to highlight the achievements of the Department of Space.
- The application has been developed by Development and Educational Communication Unit (DECU) of ISRO for Android devices.
- Sakaar consists of 3D models of MOM, RISAT, rockets (PSLV, GSLV Mk-III); videos of INSAT 3D-predicting cyclones, GSLV D5/Cryo, Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) orbit insertion, launch video of MOM, 360 degree animated view of MOM; Anaglyph of Mars surface.
People in News
- Bangladesh's Supreme Court today upheld the death sentence against Ali Ahsan Muhammad Mujahid, the second highest ranking leader of the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami for war crimes, including massacre of intelligentsia during the liberation war against Pakistan, paving the way for his execution.
- An Egyptian court sentenced deposed President Mohamed Morsy to death today over a mass jail break during the country's 2011 uprising and issued sweeping punishments against the leadership of Egypt's oldest Islamic group.
- The United Nations General Assembly today unanimously elected Denmark's former parliament speaker Mogens Lykketoft as president of its 70th anniversary session
- Note : Current Assembly President : Sam Kutesa (Uganda)
- India loses to Pacific island Guam in 2018 World Cup qualifier.
- About Guam
- Capital : Hagåtña
- Official languages : English, Chamorro
- Note : Guam's total population is 1,65,000.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here