- Today (14th June) is World Blood Donor Day
- This day is observed to raise the public awareness about the need for safe blood donation.
- Important Note : World Blood Donor Day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO), along with
- World Health Day,
- World Tuberculosis Day,
- World Immunization Week,
- World Malaria Day,
- World No Tobacco Day,
- World Hepatitis Day and
- World AIDS Day.
- Themes of World Blood Donor Day
- 2015 : “Thank you for saving my life”.
- 2014 : “Safe blood for saving mothers”.
- 2013 : “Give the gift of life: Donate blood.”
- 2012 : “Every blood donor is a hero”.
- 2011 : “More blood, more life”.
- 2010 : “New Blood for the World”.
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal to sign (BBIN) Motor Vehicles Agreement tomorrow for better transport facility.
Science & Technology
- Chinese defence ministry has confirmed the test of a supersonic nuclear delivery vehicle, a move described by the US as an "extreme manoeuvre" amid tension in the South China Sea.
- The fourth successful test of hypersonic glide vehicle - which the US has dubbed the "Wu-14" - was carried out.
- Note : It was the People Liberation Army's fourth test of the weapon in 18 months.
Business & Economy
- State-run BSNL will launch free roaming, starting tomorrow, which will allow all its mobile customers across the country to receive incoming calls at no cost.
- Note : One June 2nd, Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had announced that the telco would be launching free roaming scheme from June 15th.
People in News
- The International Criminal Court has called for South Africa to arrest Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir, who is reported to have arrived in Johannesburg for a summit of the African Union.
- Note : Bashir is wanted over alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the Darfur conflict dating back to 2003.
- Former Union Minister Sheila Kaul (100) passed away.
- She is the sister-in-law of Jawaharlal Nehru and worked as an MP for five times.
- Note : She is the oldest surviving former parliamentarian (100 years).
- Rohan Bopanna - Florin Mergea win the ATP's Stuttgart Open final doubles trophy in Germany.
- India’s senior off-spinner Harbhajan Singh today reached a landmark as he surpassed Pakistan legend Wasim Akram’s tally of Test wickets to climb to Ninth in the all-ime highest wicket-takers’ list.
- Harbhajan today dismissed Imrul Kayes for 72 to reach 415 Test wickets, one more than Akram’s 414 from 104 matches.
- His final figures of 3/64 took his tally to 416 wickets from 102 Test matches.
- Top 10 Wicket Takers
- M Muralitharan (ICC/SL)
- SK Warne (Aus)
- A Kumble (India)
- GD McGrath (Aus)
- CA Walsh (WI)
- N Kapil Dev (India)
- Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ)
- SM Pollock (SA)
- Harbhajan Singh (India)
- Wasim Akram (Pak)
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here