Science & Technology
- Nepal PM Sushil Koirala invites PM Narendra Modi to visit Nepal on June 25th to address the First Donors’ Conference in Kathmandu.
- Note : India has supported Nepal in post earthquake rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts.
- African leaders have agreed to create the continent's largest free-trade zone, covering 26 countries in an area from Cape Town to Cairo.
- The deal, signed in Egypt, is intended to ease the movement of goods across member countries which represent more than half the continent's GDP.
- Note : Three existing trade blocs - the Southern African Development Community (Sadc); the East African Community (EAC) and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (Comesa) - are to be united into a single new zone.
- The Nation pays rich tributes to Revolutionary Poet & Freedom Fighter, Shaheed Ram
- He was one of the founder members of the revolutionary organization Hindustan Republican Association.
- He was an Indian revolutionary who participated in Mainpuri conspiracy of 1918, and the Kakori conspiracy of 1925, and struggled against British imperialism.
Science & Technology
- India has unlocked its first indigenously-built aircraft carrier INS Vikrant at a ceremony at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL).
- The ship, built at CSL, will undergo a series of fitment and trial processes before it is ready for propulsion and inducted into the Navy.
- The ship has a length of over 260 metres and breadth of 60 metres.
- It has two take-off runways and a landing strip with three arrester wires, capable of operating STOBAR aircraft including the indigenous LCA, as well as a range of helicopters with hangar facilities.
- CSL Chairman and Managing Director : Commodore Kartik Subramaniam
- Senior scientist Srivari Chandrasekhar has been appointed Director CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT), a premier research institute of the Central Government.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today handed over the Bangladesh Liberation War Honour to the family members of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Bangladesh conferred this award on Mr Vajpayee for his contribution to the South Asian nation's fight for liberation from Pakistan.
- Note : PM Modi had received the honour on behalf of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, during his recent visit to Bangladesh.
- Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal was conferred the prestigious 14th Sant Namdev National Award- 2015 for promoting peace, communal harmony and universal brotherhood at a function organised here by the Sarhad foundation.
- Indian Cricket Team Captain, MS Dhoni, is the only cricketer in the top-100 of Forbes' list of the world's highest-paid athletes.
- Dhoni ranked 23rd in the list.
- This list has been topped once again by American boxer Floyd Mayweather and has his 'Fight of the Century' opponent, Manny Pacquiao in second spot.
- Top 10 of Forbes' World’s Highest-Paid Athletes 2015
- Floyd Mayweather (Boxing - US) : $ 300 million
- Manny Pacquiao (Boxing - Philippines) : $ 160 million
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Football - Portugal) : $ 79.6 million
- Lionel Messi (Football - Argentina) : $73.8 million
- Roger Federer (Tennis - Switzerland) : $67 million
- LeBron James (Basketball - US) : $64.8 million
- Kevin Durant (Basketball - US) : $54.1 million
- Phil Mickelson (Golf - US) : $50.8 million
- Tiger Woods (Golf - US) : $50.6 million
- Kobe Bryant (Basketball - US) : $49.5 million
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here