- Myanmar’s opposition leader and Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi is on 4 day visit to China.
- Important Details about Myanmar :
- Also known as Republic of the Union of Myanmar / Burma
- Capital : Naypyidaw
- Official language : Burmese
- President : Thein Sein
- Vice-Presidents :
- Sai Mauk Kham
- Nyan Tun
- Currency : Kyat
- Important Details about China :
- Capital : Beijing
- Currency : Renminbi (yuan)
- President : Xi Jinping
- Premier : Li Keqiang
- The Union Cabinet has gave its nod to the proposal to promulgate the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015.
- This Act is focused in clarifying the jurisdiction related issues on the cheque bounce and insufficient funds in the bank account.
- The proposed amendments to the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 (“The NI Act”) are focused on clarifying the jurisdiction related issues for filing cases for offence committed under section 138 of the NI Act.
- The government has launched a new website, fully dedicated to International Day of Yoga which is to be observed on 21st of this month.
- The website mea.gov.in/idy.htm was launched by jointly by External Affairs Minister Mrs Sushma Swaraj and Minister of State for Ayush Shripad Naik in New Delhi.
- The website gives all the details about the programmes to be conducted internationally on the day.
- The Union Cabinet approved the signing of a motor vehicles pact between India and three other nations of the SAARC grouping (Bhutan, Bangladesh and Nepal).
- This will enable seamless transit of passenger and cargo vehicles among these nations.
- The agreement will regulate passenger, personal and cargo vehicular traffic between the countries.
- Each country will bear its own cost for the implementation of the agreement.
- India will be represented by minister of road transport and highways Nitin Gadkari.
- Note : The agreement will be signed on 15th of June.
Business & Economy
- The government has approved Rs 6,000 crore interest-free loan to sugar mills to help them partly clear cane price arrears to farmers that have touched about Rs 21,000 crore.
- India is expected to grow 7.5% this year, surpassing China, and for the first time is leading the World Bank's growth chart of major economies.
- China is projected to grow at 7.1% this year.
- The finance ministry has clarified that Service tax will not be levied on customers dining in restaurants without air conditioning facility or central heating.
- Even the restaurants that have ACs or central heating will levy service tax only on 40% of the total bill amount, the ministry said in a statement.
- In case of air-conditioned or air-heated restaurants, "60% of the value is to be deducted from the total amount charged while applying the rate of service tax and tax is to be calculated on the balance 40%", it added.
- China will supply 14 subway trains with 112 carriages to Kolkata city, the biggest such contract for a Chinese company in South Asia.
- Note : This is the first overseas order that CRRC (China Railway Rolling Stock Corp Ltd) has received after merger of China's state-owned train manufacturing firms - China North Railway (CNR) and China South Railway (CSR) this month.
Science & Technology
- Researchers in Peru have discovered a trio of statuettes they believe were created by the
- The mud statuettes were found inside a reed basket in a building at the ancient city of Vichama in northern Peru, which is an important archaeological site.
- Two of the figures, a naked man and woman painted in white, black and red, are believed to represent political authorities.
- Delhi Jal Board Vice Chairman Kapil Mishra has been named as the new Law Minister of Delhi.
- He will succeed Jitendra Singh Tomar who had resigned following his arrest in fake degree case.
- Mahendra Kumar Sharma, the former vice-president of Hindustan Unilever (HUL), has been appointed the non-executive chairman of ICICI Bank.
- He will be replacing K V Kamath who is set to join the New Development Bank, being established by the BRICS nations, as president.
- India Cements has appointed P L Subramanian as a non-executive director with immediate effect.
- Sharad Pawar was unanimously re-elected as the president of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), a post he has occupied since he founded the party in 1999 after parting ways with the Congress.
- Former Head of the Central Board of Direct Taxes, KV Chowdary, was sworn in as the new Central Vigilance Commissioner.
- Vijai Sharma was sworn in as new Chief Information Commissioner.
- Former Maharashtra wicket-keeper Hemant Kanitkar, who played in two Tests as a batsman in the home series against Clive Lloyd’s West Indies in 1974-75, passed away.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here