- Russia today staged a grand military parade at Moscow to commemorate the Victory day (70th anniversary of its victory over Nazi Germany during the 2nd World War) in the presence of several world leaders, including President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Nearly 10,000 soldiers, including an Indian Army contingent and China's People's Liberation Army (PLA), took part in the Victory Day parade at the iconic Red Square which lasted for over 90 minutes.
- Note : The western powers boycotted the event due to a stand-off over Ukraine.
- Russian President : Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister : Dmitry Medvedev
- Capital : Moscow
- Currency : Ruble
- Nation Pays Tributes to the great social reformer and freedom fighter Gopal Krishna Gokhale on his 149th Birth Anniversary.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched three social security schemes in West Bengal today.
- Note : This is Narendra Modi's first visit to West Bengal after becoming Prime Minister.
- The schemes - which include accident insurance, life insurance and a pension plan -- target the people from the economically deprived and the unorganised sections, who are neither covered by any form of insurance nor get any pension.
- The Insurance Schemes are
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (accident insurance) and
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana (life insurance),
- The Pension Scheme has been named after former PM Atal Behari Vajpayee as Atal Pension Yojana.
- Four MoUs on Steel plant and & Railway Line signed during PM Narendra Modi's visit to Chhattisgarh
- These MoUs worth Rs 24,000 crore were signed at Dantewada.
- The MoUs signed were,
- MoU between Government of Chhattisgarh, NMDC, IRCON and SAIL for 140 km rail line between Rowghat and Jagdalpur. Estimated project cost: Rs 2,000 crore.
- MoU between Ministry of Steel, Government of Chhattisgarh, SAIL and NMDC for 3 million ton Ultra Mega Steel Plant with an investment of approximately Rs 18,000 crore.
- MoU between Government of Chhattisgarh and NMDC for Slurry Pipeline and 2MTPA Pellet Plant at Nagarnar in Bastar District with an investment of Rs 4,000 crore.
- MoU between Government of Chhattisgarh and SAIL for setting up 1MTPA Pellet Plant at Dalli-Rajhara, Balod District with an investment of Rs 826 crore.
- The fund created from this compensation will be utilized to provide new sewage treatment plants (STPs) and other technology to clean up river Yamuna.
People in News
- Mhairi Black, a 20 year girl has become Britain's youngest member of parliament since 1667 in a victory which symbolises an expected nationalist landslide in Scotland.
- A record number of 10 Indian-origin candidates including Keith Vaz, Priti Patel and Infosys cofounder Narayana Murthy's son-in-law were elected to the British parliament.
- US President Barack Obama has nominated Sanjita Pradhan, an IIT alumni to his advisory commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs).
Science & Technology
- Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel commissions INS Sardar Patel at Porbandar today.
- This will help boost security of Gujarat's 1600-km coastline.
- Navy chief : RK Dhowan
- North Korea has announced that it had successfully test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) -- a technology that could eventually offer the nuclear-armed state a survivable second-strike capability.
- North Korean leader : Kim Jong-Un
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here