- Punjab government has made a plan to provide facility of water supply, sewerage, sewerage Treatment Plants (STPs), streetlights, roads and parks in all the 165 towns by the end of 2016 at a cost of 5000 crore rupees.
- Chief Minister : Parkash Singh Badal
- Governor : Kaptan Singh Solanki
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch 3 ambitious Social Security Schemes pertaining to the insurance and pension sectors tomorrow (9th May 2015) at Kolkata.
- Today is World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day.
- This day is an annual celebration of International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement's principles.
- This year marks the 67th year of the celebration, which was first officially celebrated in 1948.
- This year's Theme : "Power of Humanity: The Fundamental Principles in Action".
- Important Note : The day is also the birth anniversary of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)'s founder Henry Dunant.
- He won first Nobel Peace Prize in 1901.
- Conservative Party retains power in United Kingdom (UK).
- British Prime Minister David Cameron swept to an unexpectedly strong victory with a majority in Parliament elections of United Kingdom.
- Note : The Conservatives claimed a comfortable majority by taking 331 seats in the 650-member Parliament, which means Cameron will not have to look for coalition partners as he puts together his new cabinet.
- Helicopter Crash in Pakistan (Naltar Valley) Kills 7 foreign diplomats.
- Ambassador of Philippines Domingo D Lucenario Jr, Ambassador of Norway Leif Larsen and the wives of the Malaysian and Indonesian ambassadors were among those seven people killed.
- Eminent historian, economist and social scientist Dr Amalendu Guha died today.
- An author who wrote in English, Assamese and Bengali, Guha has several books to his credit including his most acclaimed book 'Planter Raj to Swaraj'.
- Note : Guha, through a registered will in the year 2005, had donated his body to the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital for research and pledged his eyes to Shankardev Nethralaya, Guwahati.
- Achal Kumar Jyoti, a former Chief Secretary during the tenure of Narendra Modi as Gujarat Chief Minister, was today appointed as the Election Commissioner, filling one of the two vacancies in the three-member body.
Awards & Honors
- West Bengal's Nadia district, which was declared as the first “open defecation free” district in the country, has won the United Nations Public Service Award 2015 in the category of improving delivery of public services.
- Hooghly and Burdwan districts have bagged the second and third positions.
- Jaisalmer district in Rajasthan also featured in the top 10 list of open defecation free districts.
- President Pranab Mukherjee was conferred with an Honorary Doctorate in Moscow today by the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Note : The President is in Moscow to witness the Victory Day parade on Saturday, which marks the 70th anniversary of the victory of the Allied forces in the Second World War.
Business & Economy
- The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) today criticized the Telecom Ministry for giving Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio Infocomm undue benefit of over Rs 3,367 crore by allowing it to provide voice calling on broadband spectrum.
- Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova defeats Sharapova after seven years to reach in Madrid Open final.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here