- India signed an agreement with Iran for the development of the strategically important Chabahar port which will give India sea-land access route to Afghanistan bypassing Pakistan.
- Indian road transport and highways minister : Nitin Gadkari
- Iranian President : Hassan Rouhani
- US hands over to Pakistan 14 combat aircraft, 59 military trainer jets and 374 armoured personnel carriers.
- The arms were earlier used by American forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- India had in the past opposed the transfer of such arms to Pakistan as it believes Islamabad would eventually use the fighter jets against it.
- India has slipped to 140th rank in an annual Global Mother's Index, analysing the world's best places to be a mother.
- This Index measures countries on four indicators of moms’ wellbeing: risk of maternal death; under-five mortality rate; expected number of years of formal schooling; the gross national income per capita and participation of women in government.
- In 2014, India was 137th out of 178 countries in the global mother’s index.
- Nation pays tribute to Rabindranath Tagore on his 154th birth anniversary today.
- Parliament gave its approval to the 100th Constitution Amendment Bill to settle the 41-year old boundary dispute between India and Bangladesh.
- The bill stipulates redrawing India’s boundary with Bangladesh by exchanging enclaves in Assam, West Bengal, Tripura and Meghalaya.
- Lok Sabha passes Juvenile Justice Bill which permits juveniles between 16-18 years to be tried as adults for heinous crimes.
- Highlights of the Bill
- The bill permits juveniles between the ages of 16-18 years to be tried as adults for heinous offences.
- Juvenile Justice Boards and Child Welfare Committees would be constituted in each district.
- The juvenile justice board will conduct a preliminary inquiry to determine whether a juvenile offender is to be sent for rehabilitation or be tried as an adult and the child welfare committee will determine institutional care for children in need of care and protection.
- Eligibility of adoptive parents and the procedure for adoption have been included in the bill.
- Penalties for cruelty against a child, offering a narcotic substance to a child, and abduction or selling a child have been prescribed.
- Government has asked the Universities to include a column for transgender category in all application forms, academic testimonials and other relevant documents.
- Supreme Court in its judgement in 2014 had directed that eunuchs, apart from binary gender, be treated as third gender for the purpose of safeguarding their rights under under the Constitution.
- The union cabinet has approved amendments to the Whistlebowers Protection Act, 2011 aimed at strengthening safeguards against disclosures which may affect the sovereignty and integrity of the country.
- The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting presided over by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Gujarat High Court today ordered shutting down of 67 sandmining activities units which continued to operate without renewing their leases in the Gir sanctuary which is the only abode of Asiatic lions.
- The order came after the Gujarat forest department submitted that the 67 units would not be given 'No Objection Certificates (NOC)' to mine on the banks of the Shetrunji river in the Gir Sanctuary area.
Business & Economy
- Indian rupee hits 20 months' low of 64.23 against US dollar.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here