- The Union Cabinet today approved Constitution 119th Amendment Bill on the land boundary agreement between India and Bangladesh.
- Under the pact, India and Bangladesh will exchange several enclaves which are under each other's adverse possession.
- The bill was placed in the Rajya Sabha in 2013 and subsequently referred to a select committee, headed by Shashi Tharoor of Congress, which unanimously recommended implementation of the deal.
- Rajasthan medical and health minister Rajendra Rathore has inaugurated a cow-urine refinery at Jalore.
- The refinery will prepare cow-urine extract for use in the formulation of various products.
- Rajasthan has bagged first place in country in matter of free admission under Right to Education.
- Today (first Tuesday of May) is World Asthma Day.
- This day is recognized and observed by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) to improve asthma awareness and care around the world.
- This year's Theme : You can control your Asthma
- Important Points to Note :
- The inaugural World Asthma Day was held in 1998.
- In 2014, World Asthma day was observed on 6th May.
- In 2015, World Asthma day is being observed on 5th May.
- In 2016, World Asthma day will be observed on 3rd May.
- In 2017, World Asthma day will be observed on 2nd May.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will pay a three-nation official visit to China, Mongolia and South Korea from 14th to 19th May 2015.
- China visit (14th to 16th):
- Modi will visit Xian, Beijing and Shanghai from May 14-16.
- He will hold bilateral meetings with the country's leadership and participate in cultural and business events.
- He will also attend an event organised by the Indian community in China.
- Mongolia visit (17th)
- This is the first ever visit by an Indian prime minister to Mongolia.
- Republic of Korea visit (18th to 19th May)
- He will hold bilateral discussions with President Park Geun-hye and meet with important business leaders in Seoul.
People in News
- Britain’s Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge have named their newborn daughter Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, a choice that honours the baby’s late grandmother Princess Diana and her great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth.
- Lu Ping (88), the feisty Chinese diplomat who led negotiations over the handover of Hong Kong and warned that the territory’s last British governor would be “condemned through the ages”, has died today.
- Michael Blake, the writer whose novel "Dances With Wolves" became a major hit movie and earned him an Academy Award for the screenplay, has died today.
- Note : "Dances With Wolves," a Civil War epic about Army lieutenant who befriends a Native American tribe, won seven Academy Awards, including one for Blake for best adapted screenplay.
Business & Economy
- IT major Infosys has asked the West Bengal government to either give SEZ status to the company’s proposed software development centre at Rajarhat or repay the money it has given in advance for the land.
- The previous Left Front government had promised the company that it would give SEZ status to Infosys for starting the project which had the prospect of creating 15,000 jobs.
- This was supposed to be the first Infosys centre in the state.
- Rajasthan Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Health Mission (NHM), UNICEF and GAIN (Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition) in Jaipur to tackle the severe problem of malnourishment of the state.
- Initially, 1000 children will be benifited by this programme which is going to be implemented in 13 districts.
- Permanent Account Number (PAN) has been made mandatory for private firms seeking central excise registration.
- The registration will now be given within two days of filing online applications, as per the new simplified rules formed by the Finance Ministry "to improve the ease in doing business in manufacturing".
- Note : Government departments are exempted from the requirement of quoting PAN in their online application.
- Team India's Bangladesh tour schedule announced.
- India is going to play one test and three One day internationals beginning from 10th June 2015.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here