The United States Defense Secretary Ashton Carter called China for an immediate end to build artificial islands in the South China Sea and urged Beijing for a peaceful solution instead of militarizing the region.
A day after President Pranab Mukherjee's comments on Bofors scandal appeared in a Swedish newspaper, India has lodged a strong protest and disappointment asking the daily to delete the references made by Mukherjee.
The United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution on the protection of journalists in conflict zones.
Science & Technology
People in News
- According to the annual report released by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, India is home to 194.6 million undernourished people, the highest in the world.
- Over 15 per cent of the India’s population, exceeding China in both absolute numbers and proportion of malnourished people in the country's population.
- Top 10 Undernourished Population.
- India - 194.6
- China - 133.8
- Pakistan - 41.4
- Ethiopia - 31.6
- Bangladesh - 26.3
- Indonesia - 19.4
- Tanzania - 16.8
- Philippines - 13.7
- Nigeria - 12.9
- North Korea - 10.5
- Pranab Mukherjee, who is scheduled to leave for Sweden on May 31, had said that no Indian court has given its verdict on Bofors issues and it was no scandal rather a media trial.
- Following the controversy that has erupted over Mukherjee's comments, India's Ambassador to Sweden and Latvia Banashri Bose Harrison has now written a letter to the Swedish newspaper to register the country's "disappointment" over the entire issue.
- The measure comes as the number of deaths and kidnappings of media professionals continues to climb.
- Note : Around 66 journalists were killed last year and 25 more have died since January.
- In the last decade, 700 media workers have been killed in the field or because of their profession.
- Shimla, the capital city of Himachal Pradesh turns 200 today.
- To mark the occasion, Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh launched a bicentennial function to celebrate 200 years of Shimla.
- The function is being organised by the Deputy Commissioner's office of the city.
- A website highlighting city's growth, history, buildings and other interesting information was launched also recently.
- A book containing information on functioning of bureaucracy from the British Rule till date will also be released (this book was written by Raja Bhasin).
- About Shimla
- Shimla was the summer capital of British India, capital of undivided Punjab, and is now the capital of Himachal Pradesh.
- Nickname : Queen of Hills
- The Supreme Court has said that condemned prisoners also have a right to dignity and execution of death sentence cannot be carried out in an arbitrary, hurried and secret manner without allowing convicts to exhaust all legal remedies and meet family members.
- In Rajasthan, Gujjar agitation entered 8th day today
- Gujjars have been demanding of 5% reservation for the community.
- Round 5 of Rajasthan govt and Gujjar representatives' talks have finally delivered today.
- The 3 ministerial committee has convinced the Gujjar leadership to accept their proposal for granting them 5% quota in govt jobs
- Punjab and Haryana High Court stays Haryana government's decision to grant 20 percent reservations to scheduled caste employees in departmental promotions
- Mega food park inaugurated at Nalbari, Assam.
- Background :
- To give a major boost to the food processing sector by adding value and reducing food wastage and loss at each stage of the supply chain with particular focus on perishables, Ministry of Food Processing Industries is implementing the Mega Food Park Scheme in the country since 2008.
- Financial assistance uptoRs. 50.00 Crore is provided for setting up Mega Food Parks for creation of modern infrastructure facilities for food processing along the value chain from farm to consumer.
Science & Technology
- Researchers have explored how 3D printing can be used to help treat Type 1 diabetes.
- The 3D printing technique, known as bioplotting, has taken researchers a step closer to being able to help patients who experience severe hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) situation.
- The paper released by these researchers describes how clusters of specialized cells responsible for the production of insulin and glucagon in the pancreas have successfully been 3D printed into a scaffold.
- A satellite tracking system has been set up to check forest fires during summers in Himachal Pradesh.
- Under this system, continuous vigil was being kept on the forests to ensure that the fire fighting staff reached the spot immediately on receiving information.
- HP State Forest Minister : Thakur Singh Bharmauri
- Chess wizard Viswanathan Anand's mother Sushila Viswanathan (79) has passed away in her sleep here.
- She taught Anand the basic moves of the game and accompanied him to various events.
People in News
- Former Vice Chairman of FIFA Jack Warner jailed for alleged corruption.
- Singapore has appointed S Chandra Das, an Indian- origin businessman as its non-Resident High Commissioner to Sri Lanka.
- Mr Das served as Singapore's Ambassador to the Republic of Turkey, resident in Singapore, from 2006 to 2015.
- Note : The Ministry also announced the appointment of Chua Thai Keong as Singapore's High Commissioner to the Republic of South Africa.
- Australian Open Super Series Badminton Tournament
- Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal enters quarter-finals of the Women's Singles.
- Beijing Olympic champion Abhinav Bindra today qualified for the Rio Olympics 2016 through one of the Olympic quotas.
- Bindra becomes the fourth Indian shooter to qualify for Rio Games after he clinched one of the three quotas available to qualify for the games.
- Central Board of Secondary Education today declared the Class 10 results.
- The announcement was made by the CBSE on its website http://cbseresults.nic.in.
- The board's post-result counselling at 1800-11-8004, would begin from today and continue till June 8.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here