- India and Vietnam have signed a joint vision statement on defense cooperation for the period 2015-2020.
- The statement was signed by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Vietnamese Minister for National Defence General Phung Quang Thanh at the end of the delegation level talks in New Delhi yesterday.
- An MoU on cooperation between the Coast Guards of the two countries was also signed in the presence of the two Defence Ministers.
- The nation today remembered Jawaharlal Nehru (14th November 1889 – 27th May 1964) on his 51st death anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other leaders paying tributes to the country's first Prime Minister.
- The Tripura government today decided to lift Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) from the state, where the controversial law was in effect for the last 18 years to curb insurgency.
- Note : This Act was imposed in the state on February 16, 1997 following spurt of violence by the ultras.
- Chief Minister / Home Minister of Tripura : Manik Sarkar
- Delhi High Court allows NGO Greenpeace India to use two of its accounts for the purpose of receiving and utilising fresh domestic donations for its day-to-day functioning
- Note : The government had cancelled Greenpeace’s registration under Foreign Contribution Regulations Act (FCRA) on grounds of allegedly violating the norms by opening five accounts to use foreign donations without informing concerned authorities.
- The Centre has set up a 9 Member committee under the Chairmanship of former Finance Secretary Vijay Kelkar to revisit and revitalize the PPP model of infrastructure development.
- This committee has been asked to submit its report in three months.
- PPP Model - Public Private Partnership Model
- Manabi Bandopadhyay, a transgender from West Bengal is going to make history when she takes charge of Krishnagar Women's College in Nadia district of West Bengal on 9th June 2015.
- She is going to become the first third gender principal in India (probably in the world).
- Note : In the year 1995, she published the country’s first transgender magazine, Ob-Manab (sub-human).
Awards & Honors
- The World Health Organization (WHO) selects Punjab for World No Tobacco Day Award 2015.
- World No Tobacco Day Award is a global reward for various measures taken to curb the use of tobacco in the state.
- The award will be conferred to the state on World No Tobacco Day 2015.
- Note : Punjab was the first state to impose complete ban on sale of Loose Cigarettes, loose tobacco, flavoured and scented tobacco e-Cigarettes in the state.
- Health Minister Punjab : Mr. Surjit Kumar Jayani
- Note : World No Tobacco Day is observed on 31st May.
- World No Tobacco Day Themes
- 2010 : “Gender and tobacco with an emphasis on marketing to women”.
- 2011 : “The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control”.
- 2012 : “Tobacco industry interference”.
- 2013 : “Ban tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship”.
- 2014 : “raise taxes on tobacco”.
- 2015 : “Stop illicit trade of tobacco products”.
- SBI Chief Arundhati Bhattacharya, ICICI bank head Chanda Kochhar, Biocon founder Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw and HT Media Chair Shobhana Bhartia are among the world’s 100 most powerful women, according to the Forbes’ annual list.
- This list is topped by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Australian Open badminton 2015
- Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth reach second round of singles event.
- Swiss authorities arrested a string of FIFA (Wolrd governing body of football) officials on corruption charges and opened criminal proceedings over the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here