- Egypt has executed six members of Sinai Peninsula, a militant group with links to Islamic State for carrying out an attack on soldiers in 2014.
- The group has killed hundreds of police and soldiers since the army toppled Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in 2013.
- Modi's Mongolia Visit
- Modi, on a two-day visit to Mongolia, the first-ever by an Indian Premier has gifted Mongolia a Bhabhatron, the indigenous machine developed by Indian scientists for cancer treatment, in the first demonstration of bilateral cooperation in the civil nuclear sector.
- Modi gifted this equipment to National Cancer Centre, the only cancer hospital at Ulaan Baatar.
- India today announced a credit line of USD 1 billion to Mongolia to expand its economic capacity and infrastructure, as they decided to upgrade their relationship from Comprehensive to "Strategic Partnership".
- India and Mongolia today inked 14 agreements, in different sectors to further strengthen bilateral ties including an air services agreement and in cyber security, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks with his Mongolian counterpart Chimed Saikhanbileg at Ulan Bator.
- Nepal government today unveiled its action plan to protect and reconstruct heritage sites damaged by the massive earthquake that devastated the country and robbed it of major historical jewels.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today announced various initiatives for auto drivers including annual fare revision of auto rickshaws, over 400 new halt-and-go stands and relaxation in rules, including permission to refuse customers while returning home.
Business & Economy
- Expanding utilities of Post offices, the Centre is planning to open 1,000 Postal ATMs
- Important Note : The first postal ATM in Bihar was inaugurated in Patna GPO (General Post Office).
- Union Information and Technology Minister : Ravishankar Prasad
- Bettering its own financial targets, the government has contained the fiscal deficit at 4 per cent of GDP for 2014-15 at Rs 5,01,880 crore.
- The revenue deficit has also been confined to 2.8 per cent, beating the budget target of 2.9 per cent for the last fiscal.
- The government has allocated Rs 5,000 crore for the growth of Department of AYUSH and launched an independent National AYUSH Mission aimed at capacity building for the sector.
- AYUSH - Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy
- Union Minister of State for AYUSH - Sripad Naik
- To help Indian and Chinese corporates in cross-border businesses, top private sector lender ICICI Bank has opened its first branch in China.
- Based in Shanghai, China's biggest city and a major global financial hub, the new branch would begin with 17 banking professionals handling different functions including corporate banking, operations, finance and treasury.
- This branch was launched by : Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Awards & Honors
- Chaitali Galakhe, a Maharashtra bride who got a "toilet" as her wedding gift from her kin as she preferred it over jewellery will now be given a cash reward of Rs 10 lakh by Sulabh International for taking a stand on the issue.
- Inspired by 'Swachch Bharat' campaign, the woman from Akola district insisted on a toilet in her in-laws' house, placing basic sanitation needs much ahead of other wedding presents.
Science & Technology
- The latest version of Google’s self-driving car, a pod-like two-seater that needs no gas pedal or steering wheel, will make its debut on public roads this summer, a significant step in the technology giant’s mission to have driverless cars available to consumers in the next five years.
- This prototype is the first vehicle built from scratch for the purpose of self-driving.
People in News
- The Enforcement Directorate recently questioned Trinamool Congress MP and actor Mithun Chakraborty in connection with the multi-crore Saradha chitfund scam.
- During the questioning, heassured the agency that he would soon return the amount given to him by the said firm.
- AAP government charges acting Chief Secretary of Delhi Shakuntala Gamlin of lobbying for power companies.
- Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju termed it as an insult to people of North East.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here