- In a confidence building measure, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced that India will grant e-visas to Chinese tourists.
- Note : India this year has announced 'Visit India Year' in China to attract more tourists in order to boost tourism revenues.
- While less than two lakh Chinese visit India, more Chinese travellers are visiting Nepal, Sri Lanka and Maldives enhancing their tourism revenues.
- India and China sign a record 24 agreements worth $10 billion on bilateral cooperation in economy, trade, science and technology and culture.
- Check the complete list of 24 agreements signed by India & China from here.
- Nation pays homage to freedom fighter Sukhdev Thapar (15th May 1907 - 23rd March 1931) on his 109th birth anniversary today.
- Shaheed Sukhdev was the close associate of Bhagat Singh and Rajguru.
- Government will soon promulgate another ordinance on the Land Acquisition Bill (for the third time) after it failed to get the legislation passed in the Rajya Sabha and had to refer it to a Joint Committee of both Houses during the just-concluded Budget session of Parliament.
- Union Minister for Rural Development : Chaudhary Birender Singh
- Nearly 7 crore people got enrolled in just 5 days in the 'PM Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana', 'PM Suraksha Bima Yojana' and 'Atal Pension Yojana'.
- Last week, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched three schemes -- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) and Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
- Check complete details of these 3 schemes from here
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s constituency Varanasi is set to get another central project — Upgrading Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development (USTAD).
- The project, which will cater to weavers and other artisans, will be executed by the Union Ministry of Minority Affairs.
Awards & Honors
- President pranabh Mukherjee conferred the Presidential Awards for Classical Tamil for the years 2011-12 and 2012-13 on scholars for their outstanding contribution to the development of classical tamil language and literature.
- The Awardees are,
- Tolkappiyar Award for lifetime achievement in Classical Tamil :
- 2011-12 : SV Shanmugam
- 2012-13 : R Krishnamurthi
- Kural Pitam Award
- 2011-12 : Eva Maria Wilden (Germany)
- Young Scholar Awards
- 2011-12 :
- E. Ezhilvasanthan
- K. Jawahar
- K. Iyyappan
- 2012-13 :
- R. Venkatesan,
- A. Sathish,
- M.R. Devak,
- U. Alibava and
- B. Jaiganesh.
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis storm into women's doubles final in Rome Masters Tennis tournament.
- Talented Indian youngster Tejaswini Sagar has won her maiden world title bagging the gold in the under-15 category of World School Chess Championship.
- Note : Anand Nadar bagged the silver medal in under-15 open category while Saloni Sapole also won the silver in under-17 girls' section.
- Indian Shooter Gagan Narang today won bronze medal in the 50m Rifle Prone Event of the ISSF World Cup at Fort Benning in USA.
- This victory will earn him a quota place for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Note : He won bronze in 10m Rifle at the London Olympics.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here