People in News
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today directed that anyone caught burning any kind of waste--dry leaves, plastics, solid waste will be liable to pay Rs 5,000 as fine.
- The money generated from the fine will be used for various projects related to restoration of environment.
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar today announced compensation of Rs 1,092 crore to farmers affected by inclement weather conditions, to be disbursed by May 15.
- Of the total amount, Rs 720 crore will be provided by the Centre while rest will be provided by the state government, he said.
- Centre cancels licenses of nine thousand Non-governmental organizations for violation of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act.
- To probe heinous crimes against women, the Centre has proposed to set up 150 investigative units for violence against women in most crime prone districts in the country.
- Minister of State for Home Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary told Lok Sabha that the objective of these units will be to assist the local police in investigation of heinous crimes against women like rape, acid attack, dowry death and human trafficking etc.
- The total cost estimation for the initiative would be about Rs 98 crore for the 12th Five Year Plan period and the centre and state would share the cost on a 50:50 basis.
- International Worker's Memorial Day is being observed today.
- This is an international day of remembrance and action for workers killed, disabled, injured or made unwell by their work.
- Nepal government has decided to fly the national flag at half mast from Tuesday to Thursday in mourning of the dead of the Saturday earthquake.
- Loretta Lynch was sworn in as the new U.S. attorney general, replacing Eric Holder.
- Lynch became the country's first African-American woman to serve in the role.
- Chennai-born Raja Rajeswari has been sworn-in as a criminal court judge in New York by Mayor Bill de Blasio.
- She became the first India-born woman to be appointed a judge in New York City.
- Capgemini and iGATE today announced that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement under which Capgemini will acquire iGATE for a cash consideration of $48 per share.
- Note : The deal is considered as one of the largest buy-out in the IT services industry.
People in News
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi remains the third most followed world leader on the micro-blogging site Twitter.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj is the most followed foreign minister in twitter - far ahead of UAE’ Abdullah Bin Zayed and Turkey’s Mevlut Cavusoglu.
- The three most followed world leaders were US President BarackObama with 56,933,515 followers, Pope Francis with 19,580,910 followers on his nine different language accounts, and Modi with 10,902,510 followers.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here