- Today is International Day of the Dog (Dog Day).
- Today is World Intellectual Property Day.
- This day was established by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2000 to "raise awareness of how patents, copyright, trademarks and designs impact on daily life" and "to celebrate creativity, and the contribution made by creators and innovators to the development of societies across the globe".
- Important Note : 26 April was chosen as the date for World Intellectual Property Day because it coincides with the date on which the Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization entered into force in 1970.
- Fresh tremors of 6.7 magnitude felt in Nepal causing panic among people.
- Tremors also reported from several parts of India including Delhi.
- Death toll in Nepal crosses 2000.
- India swimmer Masudur Rahman Baidya, the only man with amputated legs to cross the English Channel (in 1997) passed away this morning after a heart attack in Topsia, near Kolkata.
- The 46-year-old, a double amputee below the knee, had conquered the English Channel, the Strait of Gibraltar in 2001 and the Palk Strait in July 2010.
- Masudur from Ballavpur village of North 24 Parganas pursued swimming after being run over by a goods train at an age of nine.
Awards & Honors
- Actor Anil Kapoor was conferred the Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar Award for the year 2015.
- This was the 73rd edition of the awards.
- Apart from Anil, actor Dilip Prabhalkar was also conferred with the honour.
- Last year, the award was given to Bollywood actor Rishi Kapoor and musician Zakir Hussain.
- Note : Dinanath Mangeshkar was the father of legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar
- Indian-origin diplomat Gopinath Pillai has been bestowed with 'Outstanding Service Award' for his services to the city-state by the National University of Singapore (NUS).
- 78-year-old Gopinath Pillai, who is currently the Ambassador-at-Large of Singapore and special envoy to Andhra Pradesh received the award yesterday.
Business & Economy
- Bank of Baroda, the leading Indian public sector bank, has tied up with UAE Exchange to offer an instant cash transfer facility to NRI customers.
- Following the agreement, customers can send money to their desired bank accounts in Bank of Baroda in India, within minutes.
- Important Points to Note :
- UAE Exchange is a global remittance and foreign exchange company, serves over 7.9 million customers worldwide and currently has over 750 branches across 32 countries.
- Bank of Baroda has a network of more than 5,000 branches across Europe, US, Africa, Asia and Australia and in financial centres like New York, London, Dubai, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here