- The Urban Development Ministry has issued Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to ensure cleanliness during and after public meetings and gatherings.
- Under the SOP, organizers have been made accountable for ensuring cleanliness.
- The Ministry has taken a serious note of spoiling of public places through littering of water bottles, left- over food items, packaging material and wrappers during public gatherings and meetings.
- With an aim of monitoring implementation of various ongoing projects including Rail Budget proposals, The Indian Rrailways today launched E-Samiksha, an online monitoring mechanism.
- Designed by NIC, the software is currently being used by Cabinet Secretariat, PMO and other Ministries for monitoring progress implementation of various programmes and follow-up of meetings.
- NIC - National Informatics Centre
- Today (21st April 2015) is Civil Service Day.
- It is observed by all Civil Services.
- Purpose for this day : To rededicate and recommit themselves to the cause of the people.
- The day provides an unique opportunity for introspection as also for working out future strategies to deal with the challenges being posed by the ever changing times.
- Following a flood of complaints about the anomalies in the Mumbai Development Plan, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, today, scrapped the future town planning document.
- This document was prepared by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
- The decision came after the Chief Minister had appointed a committee headed by the State Chief Secretary to review the plan and submit a preliminary report in three days.
- The Tamil Nadu government has cancelled the plots allotted to Coca-Cola's beverages manufacturing facility in the State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu Limited (SIPCOT) Industrial Growth Centre in Perundurai.
- Note : The allotment was triggered a spate of protests from residents of Perundurai and Chennimalai towns and farmers in the area, who feared groundwater depletion and discharge into the water courses.
Science & Technology
- Japan's state-of-the-art maglev train clocked a new world speed record today in a test run near Mount Fuji, smashing through the 600 kilometre (373 miles) per hour mark.
- Maglev - Magnetic Levitation
Business & Economy
- ICICI Bank in collaboration with Tech Mahindra launched a payment service called ‘Tap-n-Pay’.
- It is essentially based on the near-field communications (NFC) technology, enabling customers make over-the-counter payments without using cash.
- It can be used for merchant payments by merely tapping a NFC-enabled mobile phone or a tag on the counter.
People in News
- An Egyptian court has sentenced ousted President Mohammed Morsi to 20 years in jail for ordering the arrest and torture of protesters during his rule.
- It is the first verdict he has received since his overthrow and is one of several trials he faces.
- Three-time Chief Minister of Odisha & senior Congress leader Janaki Ballabh Patnaik (89) passed away.
- He was Chief Minister of Odisha from 1980 to 1989 and again from 1995 to 1999, holding that post for the longest time on record before Naveen Patnaik.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here