- India and Bangladesh are set to sign a historic deal to allow cargo trucks from both sides to ply within each other’s territories. This will be for the first time India enters such an agreement with any of its neighborliness countries.
- Resolving all the outstanding issues, India and Sri Lanka inked an agreement for the execution of the 500 MW thermal power project at Sampur in Trincomalee at a cost of Rs. 4,000 crore.
- Asia-Pacific leaders pledged to work together to revive growth while keeping to a year-end deadline on a key trade deal, as China touted its increased influence in the region in the absence of U.S. President Barack Obama.As the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum concluded in Bali, leaders said in a statement they would drive a global recovery and implement “prudent and responsible” policies.
- World Habitat Day globally observed on 7th October to reflect on the state of human settlements and people’s right to sufficient shelter. This annual event held on first Monday of October with a new theme each year.
- India is in talks with Uzbekistan for procuring uranium for growing requirement of fuel for its nuclear plants, expected to increase in number in coming years.
- The Indira Gandhi International airport in New Delhi became a 'sister airport' of the one in Birmingham after the two signed an MoU to develop further links and formalise a working relationship.
Awards and Honors
- Two Americans, James Rothman and Randy Schekman, and Germany's Thomas Sudhof won the 2013 Nobel prize for medicine or physiology for research into how the cell organises its transport system.
- Minister of State for Consumer Affairs and Agriculture K V Thomas has been selected for the B Wellington Talent Award for the year 2013 instituted by Fr Vadakkan-B Wellington Samskarika Samithi.
- Noted Marathi playwright Mahesh Elkunchwar will be presented the prestigious 'Vishnudas Bhave Award' for his contribution to the world of theatre.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya was appointed chairperson of State Bank of India (SBI), the first woman to head the country's largest lender in its 207-year history.
Business and Economy
- The World Bank lowered its 2013 growth forecast for East Asian developing countries to 7.1 per cent and warned that a prolonged US fiscal crisis could be damaging to the region.
- RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan kept his promise of moving the money market to normal conditions as he cut the penal rate of interest, and took a step towards expanding financial markets by agreeing to lend to banks for a longer term.
Science and Technology
- India test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile with a strike range of 350km from a test range at Chandipur.
- Giant 250-metre high channels of ice, almost the height of the Eiffel Tower, have been discovered beneath a floating ice shelf in Antarctica. Researchers said,the channels, that stretch hundreds of kilometres along the ice shelf, will help predict future of Antarctic ice.
- Long-nosed Pinocchio lizard, believed to be extinct for 50 years, rediscovered in cloud forests of Ecuador.
- World number ones Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams sailed through to convincing victories in the China Open Sunday.
- Iran wins the 17th Asia Senior Men’s Volleyball Championship.
- Spain’s Rafael Nadal returned to the top of the ATP rankings for the first time in more than two years on Monday, overtaking Serbian Novak Djokovic, who dropped to second.
- Mumbai Indians clinched the Champions League Twenty-20 title by defeating Rajasthan Royals by 33 runs in New Delhi.
- Rohan Bopanna and his French partner Edouard Roger-Vasselin lifted the Japan Open trophy in the men's doubles section , sailing past Jamie Murray and John Peers Tokyo.